Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Brand New ST makes a droning noise 50-58ishmph

Reactions
Basically, the title. Car drives great, very smooth. Shifts are smooth. But when I’m going 50-58ish there is a noticeable oscillating droning sound. Has anyone else had this experience? And if so, how do I fix it?

Stinger

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Reactions
Basically, the title. Car drives great, very smooth. Shifts are smooth. But when I’m going 50-58ish there is a noticeable oscillating droning sound. Has anyone else had this experience? And if so, how do I fix it?
Exhaust leak?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
M
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Exhaust leak?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don’t know. Is there a way for me to test that or do I have to take it in? Can I do the old soap trick on a cold exhaust?

ZRX61

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Something is setting up a resonance that it shouldn't. My Kaw 1100 does this when I ride close to another Kaw 1100 with the same Muzzy exhaust system. I've also experienced a really bad version of this when following a Porsche through a canyon that actually made me feel nauseous if I was within 50ft of the car. Experimented a bit with the distance between me & the car. When I dropped back the feeling went away. Thought I was actually going to throw up a couple of times, most unpleasant...
I'd start by looking under the ST & checking the exhaust mounts & joints etc. Something might need tightening up... or possibly loosening off a bit.

OP
M
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
Something is setting up a resonance that it shouldn't. My Kaw 1100 does this when I ride close to another Kaw 1100 with the same Muzzy exhaust system. I've also experienced a really bad version of this when following a Porsche through a canyon that actually made me feel nauseous if I was within 50ft of the car. Experimented a bit with the distance between me & the car. When I dropped back the feeling went away. Thought I was actually going to throw up a couple of times, most unpleasant...
I'd start by looking under the ST & checking the exhaust mounts & joints etc. Something might need tightening up... or possibly loosening off a bit.
thanks for the reply. I plan to get under it Sunday. I’ll report back if I find anything. One thing to note: I have put the vehicle in neutral at speed and it still happens. I did that to cancel out possible drive train issues. Im guessing it could still be exhaust related. But thought I should point that out.

Reactions
Mine did similar and it ended up being a loose cover on the underside of the car. It was missing a bolt and hanging down a bit on the passenger side...

Dennis.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

OP
M
Reactions
Thread Starter #7
Mine did similar and it ended up being a loose cover on the underside of the car. It was missing a bolt and hanging down a bit on the passenger side...

Dennis.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
Awesome! Thank you so much for the reply. I’ve got some ramps coming Thursday so I’ll get under and check it then. I’ll report back what I find.