Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Borla S-Type Exhaust Getting Louder

F=MA

Reactions
Installed the Borla S-type exhaust a week or two ago. Took the vehicle on a road trip last week for about 120 miles. This week when I start the vehicle up the exhaust at idle sounds about 20 percent louder than when the exhaust system was first installed. Anyone else notice this and is it common?

KegsBdry

Reactions
Is it making a metal on metal raddling sound to make it louder? There's a known issue with a screw above each of the mufflers banging into them. It makes a raddling sound through the whole SUV.

When the muffler is cooled off, look above your muffler or use your hand to find the screw just above your muffler. You can literally move your muffler up and down to hear it hit. You'll need to either saw it off or put a high temp rudder stopper on it that will not melt when it heats up.

That fixed mine.

good luck.

Reactions
Is it making a metal on metal raddling sound to make it louder? There's a known issue with a screw above each of the mufflers banging into them. It makes a raddling sound through the whole SUV.

When the muffler is cooled off, look above your muffler or use your hand to find the screw just above your muffler. You can literally move your muffler up and down to hear it hit. You'll need to either saw it off or put a high temp rudder stopper on it that will not melt when it heats up.

That fixed mine.

good luck.
I very rarely hear this noise on mine but can definitely see how close the screw is to hitting. Do you know what temperature (to be extra safe) the stopper would need to be rated at?

OP
F=MA

F=MA

Reactions
Thread Starter #4
I had them dremel-off the 4 screw extensions prior to installing the Borla S-type exhaust. Not the flex connection (Gene Hackman :ROFLMAO:) rattling either. It is simply a louder tone coming out of the rear tailpipes at idle. I am not complaining. Probably sounds better. Only thing I can think of is some internal changes to the mufflers occurred during a long drive. I know Borla had an issue with a recall earlier but my set was sent to me well after Borla supposedly fixed the problem. Not seeing any fibers sticking to the rear of the truck.

KegsBdry

Reactions
I very rarely hear this noise on mine but can definitely see how close the screw is to hitting. Do you know what temperature (to be extra safe) the stopper would need to be rated at?
1605817428060.png
I'm no expert but I read they can get as hot as ~500'F. The cheapest trick is to cut them.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I know Borla had an issue with a recall earlier but my set was sent to me well after Borla supposedly fixed the problem. Not seeing any fibers sticking to the rear of the truck.
Maybe after your long trip, all the loose packing is gone and you are left with a louder exhaust. I doubt Borla recalled old inventory but instead dealt with owners who noticed the fibers coming out.

Last edited:
Reactions
Installed the Borla S-type exhaust a week or two ago. Took the vehicle on a road trip last week for about 120 miles. This week when I start the vehicle up the exhaust at idle sounds about 20 percent louder than when the exhaust system was first installed. Anyone else notice this and is it common?
Most all exhausts will "break in" and get louder and more pronounced after a few miles and heat cycles.

OP
F=MA

F=MA

Reactions
Thread Starter #8
See "Who added Borla Resonators to the Borla S-Type Install?" for the resolution.

Explorer ST Posts