Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Bolt Pattern Adapter?

Reactions
Would it be unwise to use a 5x120 to 5x114.3 adapter/spacer to get some local wheels to fit, assuming the offset comes back in a good range?

I don't track or hardcore race/launch the ST.. but I do drive "spirited" everytime I'm in the thing. I've never used spacers or adapters before so not sure the general consensus.

Thanks in advance!

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
If this is related to your other thread, see my comments about the spacers that would be needed for those wheels to work. you arent likely to find a 0.25" spacer for the rear that can adapt bolt pattern.

IMO, I would move on from those wheels--they are getting to be a bit much to hodgepodge together--even if they are a screaming deal.

OP
MattJ716
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
If this is related to your other thread, see my comments about the spacers that would be needed for those wheels to work. you arent likely to find a 0.25" spacer for the rear that can adapt bolt pattern.

IMO, I would move on from those wheels--they are getting to be a bit much to hodgepodge together--even if they are a screaming deal.
so depressing.. vossen vfs-2s

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
i was on a similar journey as you. ultimately i saved my pennies and bit the bullet and bought wheels--haven't regretted it. unfortunately our vehicles have an odd bolt pattern and bore size.

just had a buddy order a set of hybrid forged Vossens. I was SERIOUSLY impressed. Significantly less than a fully forged setup and they were almost as light. really really nice wheel.

OP
MattJ716
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
I might have to bite the bullet.. dont mind buying the RIMS brand new.. its the tires that are annoying. Pretty much the same price as the rim haha

OP
MattJ716
Reactions
Thread Starter #6
i was on a similar journey as you. ultimately i saved my pennies and bit the bullet and bought wheels--haven't regretted it. unfortunately our vehicles have an odd bolt pattern and bore size.

just had a buddy order a set of hybrid forged Vossens. I was SERIOUSLY impressed. Significantly less than a fully forged setup and they were almost as light. really really nice wheel.
Where did he order such wheels? Did he order them right through Vossen?

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Direct through Vossen or eBay. Lots of high end wheel/tire places or upfitters will be a dealer for them too. You can use their website to look for dealers.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
unfortunately our vehicles have an odd bolt pattern.
Ford has been using the 5x114.3mm or 5x4.5" for at least 60 years that I know of. Every 5 lug mustang from day 1 has used that pattern and so has every other 5 lug car they built all the way up to the first taurus came out in the 80's, so it is not an odd pattern. They also use a 5x108 (5x4.25") on the MN-12 based t-bird/cougar/MK8's, the early taurus prior to 2010, and the 2012+ focus, 2013+ fusion/ MKZ, 13+escape/MKC/corsair, and the 15+ edge/MKX/nautilus. Also every explorer ever made uses that pattern from 91 to present, and the ranger truck up until it went out of production, I haven't looked at the new ranger yet so I can't comment on them.

BTW mopar also used that pattern back in the day, but they used a smaller 7/16" wheel stud whereas ford a 1/2"stud. GM was and is the oddball here they used a 4.75" pattern and still do.