Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Body panels not in the correct condition before painting

Fasteddie

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Has anyone else seen these body panel conditions and paint work on their Explorer ST?

IMG_1957.jpeg IMG_1958.jpeg

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
That looks like glue or foam that isn't applied correctly. Is this brand new? Could it have been in an accident?

OP
F

Fasteddie

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #4
That looks like glue or foam that isn't applied correctly. Is this brand new? Could it have been in an accident?
It's definitely foam injection that was painted over, it's soft to the touch. One Ford dealership told me it's normal quality from factory. I find it very strange that it wasn't finished properly.

I'm the second owner and came with a clean title with no accidents. Overall it's in brand new condition. Only has 27K KM.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
All Explorers have that.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
No, these all don't look like that. I just went out and looked at mine to make sure I wasn't feeding you garbage. Mine doesn't have a hint of that anywhere in the hatch surround. It's perfect. I'm betting something has been reset on the vehicle in the picture. It looks like the new guy was practicing at putting a panel on.

Right Side.jpg

Last edited:

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Maybe I'm missing something, but OP- why is your car both white and red? So you're claiming this came from the factory this way?

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Maybe I'm missing something, but OP- why is your car both white and red? So you're claiming this came from the factory this way?
The red one is mine. I was simply showing these aren't all that way.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
The red one is mine. I was simply showing these aren't all that way.
The OP's car is two-tone red & white. My red one doesn't have that weird-looking stuff around the tail lights.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I'm sorry, I've missed it. Where is the red on the OP's car?

OP
F

Fasteddie

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #11
The OP's car is two-tone red & white. My red one doesn't have that weird-looking stuff around the tail lights.
My car is white NOT two-tone red & white :)

Rick

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Rapid Red
No, these all don't look like that. I just went out and looked at mine to make sure I wasn't feeding you garbage. Mine doesn't have a hint of that anywhere in the hatch surround. It's perfect. I'm betting something has been reset on the vehicle in the picture. It looks like the new guy was practicing at putting a panel on.

View attachment 14445
If you go back out and look closer yours has the foam with red paint sprayed over it look where I circled it on your vehicle . Take a picture of the other side of your rear hatch and post it 942C0EDD-8C5C-4C39-A527-F43A5129A975.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
F

Fasteddie

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #13

View attachment 14445
Thanks GearHead_1 for providing your picture for comparison. I do see the same foam part (bottom of the panel that meets the top of the light) but on yours it's definitely a smoother finish.

Rick

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Rapid Red
I went by my local Ford dealership and looked at five different vehicles everyone of them had the foam with the color of the vehicle painted over the foam

OP
F

Fasteddie

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #15
I went by my local Ford dealership and looked at five different vehicles everyone of them had the foam with the color of the vehicle painted over the foam
Thank you Rick. I can feel at ease that it's not just mine.

Rick

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Rapid Red
Why do you say his vehicle is white and red the vehicle is white the red is his tail light lens where do you see white paint?… look again

Rick

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Rapid Red
I'm sorry, I've missed it. Where is the red on the OP's car?
Exactly there is no red paint that is the tail light lens

Rick

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Rapid Red
Look at the picture again the vehicle is not two-tone red and white it’s a white vehicle with a red tail light lens D2785AF5-F4DA-40EB-ACBF-F1D98308567A.jpeg

Last edited:

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
If you go back out and look closer yours has the foam with red paint sprayed over it look where I circled it on your vehicle . Take a picture of the other side of your rear hatch and post it
Left Side.jpg

Rick

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Rapid Red
Lightly push on the spot with your index finger. 99CB61CD-E7C8-4D03-93B6-32B66E135B75.jpeg