Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

BLUE SCREEN.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 EXPLORER ST
Hi all. I had both cameras replaced and still get blue screen or backup not working. Any ideas what I should tell dealer to look into ?

Last edited:

Rick

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Rapid Red
Hi all. I had both cameras replaced and still get blue screen or backup not working. Any ideas im should tell dealer to look into ?
hiring a new mechanic …

Reactions
The screen needs to be replaced and update via usb or dealership, which ever is more convenient.

OP
S
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 EXPLORER ST
Thread Starter #4
The screen needs to be replaced and update via usb or dealership, which ever is more convenient.
What you mean by replacing blue screen ? isn there an update oi can do myself ? or does the Apimpóllese needs to be replaced ?

Wamba

Reactions
Had this happen on a 2021 F150 powerboost. Had to replace the entire wiring harness. You might be in for a couple of week long service stay. They need to do a wiring harness check/diognostic. Should alert the tech to a faulty/pinched/bad wire in the harness. It won’t tell them where it is exactly, that will be a physical inspection upon complete disassembly of the interior. Good luck. I hope this isn’t the case, truly.

Reactions
There is a recall that pertains to this issue, and if it was already done prior to November 2021 then the recall has probably been reopened on your vehicle for the same issue, there has since been another software update released for the IPMB module. If the module is up to date and you are still having intermittent blue back up screen and the camera is good, I’ve heard of some dealers having to replace the IPMB module. On my truck the software updates didn’t work and a new rear camera seems to have cured it

OP
S
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 EXPLORER ST
Thread Starter #7
There is a recall that pertains to this issue, and if it was already done prior to November 2021 then the recall has probably been reopened on your vehicle for the same issue, there has since been another software update released for the IPMB module. If the module is up to date and you are still having intermittent blue back up screen and the camera is good, I’ve heard of some dealers having to replace the IPMB module. On my truck the software updates didn’t work and a new rear camera seems to have cured it
WOW. I hope that is not the case. I have seen a Explorer striped entirely of it's interior and it is a Job. I want to get this fixed before the end of my lease because I plan to buy it out. All new Explorers are not coming with the features, due to the chip shortage This what is happening with the 22 Expedition and Explorer

As automakers continue to struggle to produce vehicles amid the chip shortage and other supply chain issues, Ford and others have been rolling out vehicles with fewer features and as a result, fewer chips. Most recently, this includes temporarily removing second-row climate controls and heated seats from the 2022 Ford Explorer, while numerous models have been available with auto start/stop delete, including the Ford Expedition. Now, sources familiar with the matter have told Ford Authority that the 2022 Ford Expedition has now gained an auto stop/start removal option, too.

This time around, the auto stop/start removal option applies to all 2022 Ford Expedition models and trims except for the new Stealth Performance Package and Platinum trim. As has been the case with other models receiving this option, Expeditions equipped with auto start/stop removal will reflect a $50 credit – as well as the change – on the window sticker.
The 2021 Ford Expedition temporarily gained this same option last September, as Ford Authority previously reported, but only for a short period of time. That is also the case with other Blue Oval models that have offered auto start/stop removal over the past several months as well, though opting for the removal can speed up delivery.

Reactions
I wouldn’t worry too much, if it needs a new IPMB module it’s not difficult for the dealer to replace and won’t require much dismantling of the interior. I’m a Ford tech- I mainly do state inspections but I had a ‘20 ST yesterday that was traded in, with the recall for blue camera still open despite it already being ‘done’ last September and another repair attempt even since then. Yet still out of the 5 or so times I used reverse, it had a blue rear camera display and the reverse brake assist unavailable message every single time, performed the IPMB software update and it immediately brought the camera display back and was good to go.

OP
S
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 EXPLORER ST
Thread Starter #9
I wouldn’t worry too much, if it needs a new IPMB module it’s not difficult for the dealer to replace and won’t require much dismantling of the interior. I’m a Ford tech- I mainly do state inspections but I had a ‘20 ST yesterday that was traded in, with the recall for blue camera still open despite it already being ‘done’ last September and another repair attempt even since then. Yet still out of the 5 or so times I used reverse, it had a blue rear camera display and the reverse brake assist unavailable message every single time, performed the IPMB software update and it immediately brought the camera display back and was good to go.
Great. I will have my Dealer check this out. Thank you.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 explorer st
The dealer just had my 2020 explorer ST for 3 days. Issue: Reverse brake assist not available and blue screen when putting it in reverse. Go to pick it up. They said it is all done and they replaced the IPMB. I put it in reverse to get out of the parking spot and sure enough. Blue screen and reverse brake assist not available.

What pisses me off is, on the dealers invoice. It says, technician could not duplicate customers concern of reverse brake assist not available. When i got back into the service department. He comes out and gets in the truck. Brake assist not available. So I am like, what the hell. Does the technician actually have to see it with his own eyes? when I have a picture of it doing it and the service guy saw it as well. In any case, i took the explorer back home and they are ordering the camera now. Waste of time.

PMA

Reactions
Anyone have a solution to this problem? I have had the "Rear Brake assist not available " and a rear camera blue screen happen about 40-50 % of the time. It seems to have started after the recall reprograming the E Brake on when in park. I had it back at the dealer and they updated 10 modules including the IPBM and it is still happening.

I have it booked Thursday for another look by the Dealer.

It is a 21 ST.

Any suggestions to pass along?

Reactions
On my 2020 replacing the camera is what fixed the blue screen and reverse brake assist not available message, the recall doesn’t address the issue on most vehicles sadly, I’ve seen several explorers plagued by this same situation, in rare cases it can be the IPMB module that needs replacement also.

PMA

Reactions
On my 2020 replacing the camera is what fixed the blue screen and reverse brake assist not available message, the recall doesn’t address the issue on most vehicles sadly, I’ve seen several explorers plagued by this same situation, in rare cases it can be the IPMB module that needs replacement also.
Thanks, I at least have something to offer up. It us a very small Ford Dealer….