Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Blackstone Oil Analysis Reports

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
I did my first oil change today at 2,365 mi. I bought the truck back in April. The oil was unsettlingly brown/black. Anyone else see the same?

I have sent my oil samples to Blackstone for my family's diesels over the years because we run many of them based on hours rather than miles, and know alot of guys/gals with tuned engines who like to keep an eye on their results as well. I sent a sample from the ST to get their thoughts, and will continue to do so in the future. Anyone else here do the same? I plan on posting my reports in this thread but thought it would be nice if others had that info we could pool it and get a good sense of the baseline wear these engines are seeing.

Reactions
I sent one out a few weeks ago, the oil had just over 1000 miles on it. I will report the findings when I get them

OP
Z

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Thread Starter #3
I sent one out a few weeks ago, the oil had just over 1000 miles on it. I will report the findings when I get them
Awesome! Thanks!

What did your drained oil look like? I don't think I've ever seen a brand new engine change-out so I wasn't sure what I was supposed to be expecting...

Reactions
I changed mine at 1,200 and it was dark but that’s to be expected. Assembly lube gets mixed into the factory fill so that’s totally normal, and GDI engines are abusive to the oil to begin with.

Reactions
Awesome! Thanks!

What did your drained oil look like? I don't think I've ever seen a brand new engine change-out so I wasn't sure what I was supposed to be expecting...
Mine looked normal, nice and black

OP
Z

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Thread Starter #7
Good info! Thanks for the heads up!

OP
Z

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Thread Starter #8
Similar results here. Definitely appears the factory fill is 5W-20.

Screen Shot.png

Dgoebel57

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
I've done Blackstone reports on my past vehicles, including my Spyder and wife's scooter, just to get their comparison's to all their standards. I held off changing my wife's '12 Focus until the Ford Oil Service notice came up. Got the extra TBN test when the first notice came up at 8,850 Miles on the original factory fill. Blackstone estimated that oil was still good for another 1100 miles (~10,000 miles). We traded that Focus before doing a 2nd change for her '17 Escape.

Thamac15

Active Duty U.S. Air Force
Reactions
I did my first oil change today at 2,365 mi. I bought the truck back in April. The oil was unsettlingly brown/black. Anyone else see the same?.
the oil is doing its job. It will turn black fairly soon after being replaced. Oils job is to lubricate, seal, cool, and clean. After 2k miles there is no way that oil will be golden brown, it will be black.

Reactions
Yeah, few heat cycles and the oil will change color, nothing to worry about. Just change the oil regularly.

OP
Z

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Thread Starter #12
Interesting that the dealer is either continuing to put in a different fill/blend or this engine is a little rougher on oil than most. I will be doing the next change with Mobil 1 and see what happens (this fill was supposed to be synthetic per Ford). Has Ford resolved their issues with fuel dilution and timing chain stretch at this point? Or is there anything else I can do to help prevent stuff like that? I may just continue to do 4k - 5k changes.

Screen Shot 2021-03-23 at 5.58.04 PM.png

OP
Z

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Thread Starter #13
Looks like shear is definitely the culprit rather than dilution.

20 EXPLORER ST-210806.png

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Magnesium numbers seem to be creeping up...are you using the same oil each change or have you switched? What viscosity are you running?

OP
Z

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Thread Starter #15
Hmmm. Magnesium continues to creep... But everything else looks good.

Screen Shot 2023-04-04 at 1.17.07 PM.png

hbalek

Reactions

View attachment 17306
I don't love my car enough to get it a blood test! LOL For all I know he has prostate cancer or multi-organ failure! Maybe if I had a DBX or Purosangue but even then I'm too cheap to pay for that. It should be covered for those high-priced exotics.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder

View attachment 17306
Likely caused by a detergent in the oil or in the fuel. Since your report shows little dilution, I'd think the oil might be the cause.

You certainly don't have levels going to the moon and I wouldn't think it's a worry. That one would be easy enough to check. Try a different premium oil before you send in your next sample and see if the levels follow the oil.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Hmm I was worried about fuel with the ST, looks like you got good results. After my free changes are up I plan to run M1 ESP 5w/30 and do some tests. Being I only drive 5-6k a year that will be a few years though.

OP
Z

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Thread Starter #19
Likely caused by a detergent in the oil or in the fuel. Since your report shows little dilution, I'd think the oil might be the cause.

You certainly don't have levels going to the moon and I wouldn't think it's a worry. That one would be easy enough to check. Try a different premium oil before you send in your next sample and see if the levels follow the oil.
Thats my hunch as well. I'm running Amsoil because its supposedly the best performer against oil shear and I was having issues with that in my first few changes.

Been using Amsoil Signature Series since the change at 16,000mi. The change at 11,000 was M1. The two previous were dealer performed supposed "full synthetic" and pre-tune so I was less picky/concerned.

I just passed 26,000 miles and so will be changing out before the end of the month. Should have a new data point sometime in May then. Will go from there. Will be putting on a new air filter at that point too.

Reactions
This my Yancey analysis from January.

May get a Blackstone next time. The Yancey kit is free for me. Screenshot_20230404_203720_Drive.jpg