Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Between the Two!

Sarge101st

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
So if you could choose between the follow two Explorer ST's which would you jump on? Both are 2020 ST's and both are the color combination that we want except one has the street pack and technology package and the other has neither. If they were priced the same which would you choose? I'm hearing a lot of owners prefer the 8" screen and the 20" wheels versus 21" means I can save significantly on tire pricing. I can always upgrade the brakes myself to performance brakes. I think the only thing I'd be missing out on would be the massaging driver's seat and the extra 2 speakers since the rest are not that big of a deal for me.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Definitely the streetpack and Tech. The 10.1" display is underutilized but it's not much different than what's displayed on the 8". The 21" rims look a LOT better than the 20" rims IMHO. The street pack brakes are really great. I also like the massaging seats for long trips but don't use them otherwise. For the same price? That's a no-brainer.

OP
Sarge101st

Sarge101st

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
Definitely the streetpack and Tech. The 10.1" display is underutilized but it's not much different than what's displayed on the 8". The 21" rims look a LOT better than the 20" rims IMHO. The street pack brakes are really great. I also like the massaging seats for long trips but don't use them otherwise. For the same price? That's a no-brainer.
Thanks for that!

Reactions
Vehicle
20' Explorer ST
It's debatable. It's a love/hate relationship with the vertical screen. I really like how it looks when the car is off, but its total function is hiliarious. So far, these patches have improved the touch screen at least. I prefer the sound system, I want to say it's a package with the vertical screen. It's a noticable improvement over the stock sound. Being that the car was MSRP $63k, if I got a 8" touch screen for that dough, I'd be looking elsewhere. I bought mine used though. For reference, I paid $35k financed (no money down) just a trade-in that had a great LTV, for 36k miles on mine.

The stock brakes/rotors on the 21s that I have I don't mind, at some point I'll upgrade them for sure. They look bad-ass with the black wheels. You can actually put on 20" tires, as well as move down to 18" wheels with a different size as well (that's what the LEO do). My winter set is 18" interceptor wheels w/ tires. Works as intended.

As the other person mention, the massaging seats are really nice, but I do feel like they don't go as high (I'm 6'1"), but still a nice function for longer trips. I would grab the street pck and the tech pack as you mentioned. Regardless of the vertical screen, It's totally worth the upgrade in terms of sound & other features.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Get the street pack car. It has everything you want and if you don’t like the 21” wheels there’s a huge market for them and you get the upgraded brakes which are well worth the cost. Most sell in the 15-1800 range in good shape with newer tires. You could sell yours and pay for something else if you wanted. There’s also kits out there using oem parts to downsize from the 10 to the 8” screen and still retain all functions of the 10” screen.

OP
Sarge101st

Sarge101st

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #6
Get the street pack car. It has everything you want and if you don’t like the 21” wheels there’s a huge market for them and you get the upgraded brakes which are well worth the cost. Most sell in the 15-1800 range in good shape with newer tires. You could sell yours and pay for something else if you wanted. There’s also kits out there using oem parts to downsize from the 10 to the 8” screen and still retain all functions of the 10” screen.
Good food for thought.