Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Best launch settings

dombilod

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Hi all

Sorry maybe this has been discussed previously but I can't find any info about this....

I'm struggling in finding the best way to launch my 2020 ST for optimal 0-60 times.

I'm using Dragy app and my best run so far is 5.29 sec stock.

I'm curious on how you guys achieve your best results ?

My way to do it:

-Hold brakes at 2500 rpm before launch (I've read on the internet best is 2900) ??
-Disable advances track control (hold track control for about 5-6 seconds)
-Use sport mode
-Use manual Shift mode (M button on Rotary shift dial)

I'm curious on how you guys do it ?

Somme people mention best results on Eco mode and/or enable Track control ?

I'm confused ! any tips you may have would be much appreciated !

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Traction Control off. Advance Trac is for getting sideways and has no effect on a straight run.
Sport mode.
Leave it in drive….you absolutely cannot shift it better than the computer can.
Push the brake pedal through the floor…HARD. Leave at 28-2900 or whatever your brakes will hold.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Unless you are an expert at manual shifting, just leave in auto and let the trans shift itself.
It's just my opinion but anything above 2K rpm is good enough on a stock engine with a stock tune. You want to build boost so you can launch harder. A stomp and go launch from idle will be slower because you will have to build boost first.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I've had different results depending on temps (always keeping it in Drive).

When it was warmer out and the tires hooked, disabling traction/stability control was best.
When it was cooler out, I was getting excessive wheel spin so I kept traction/stability control on.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Here's my best run so far with my bone stock "newer" 22 ST and 21" wheels.

My previous 22 ST had the 20" wheels and its best run was 5.19 sec, but it happened with a 1/4 tank fuel and all my tools removed. This run was with 1/2 a tank of fuel and 40 lbs of tools still in the vehicle.

NOTE: Dragy often reports incorrect Temp and therefore incorrect DA. Actual temp was ~60 deg and the calculated DA was closer to ~1,000ft.

Try telling people to ignore Dragy's DA calc and use this site instead, but it seems they just won't listen. Lol
https://airdensityonline.com/

Screenshot_.jpg

Last edited:

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I forgot to mention the run I posted still had 1/2 a tank of dealer gas (87 octane?) mixed in with 1/2 tank of 93 that I put in. That combo equals 90 octane, which is less than the minimum 91 octane FORD recommennds for best performance. So I'm pretty happy with the 5.3 sec 0-60 time.