Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Auto start and the factory tune

JS85

Active Duty U.S. Army
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I had the Ford dealership install the factory tune and so far the autostart is only turned off in sport mode in all the other modes its still active.

I thought the Ford performance tune would turn that off in all the other modes. Am I mistaken?

I appreciate your help and assistance.

dolsen

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
I had the Ford dealership install the factory tune and so far the autostart is only turned off in sport mode in all the other modes its still active.

I thought the Ford performance tune would turn that off in all the other modes. Am I mistaken?

I appreciate your help and assistance.
When you say factory tune, I read it as the dealer reinstalled the "stock" tune. Did you get the FP tune?

As far as the FP tune eliminating auto start-stop, did you read that somewhere? I don't believe that was ever the case.

OP
J

JS85

Active Duty U.S. Army
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
When you say factory tune, I read it as the dealer reinstalled the "stock" tune. Did you get the FP tune?

As far as the FP tune eliminating auto start-stop, did you read that somewhere? I don't believe that was ever the case.

I had them install the factory performance tune. I had read that it turns the auto start off. It only does that in sport mode apparently.

dolsen

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
I had them install the factory performance tune. I had read that it turns the auto start off. It only does that in sport mode apparently.
I'm confused... are you referring to the the Ford Performance tune the "factory performance tune"? There is no such thing as a factory performance tune of which I am aware. Ford Performance is a subsidiary of Ford, it's the performance arm, but nothing about Ford Performance is "factory".

So you got the Ford Performance tune? I have been unable to find anything about it deactivating the auto start-stop, any chance you can provide what you found?

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
There’s no mention of auto stop elimination in the product description. Just improved throttle response, optimized transmission shift schedule, and horsepower and torque increase. Maybe you were looking at multiple tunes and mixed up options? :unsure:

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST Carbonized Gray
My autostart still funtions normally with the FP Tune, it always starts in default 'Normal' mode so I cannot test it in 'Sport' mode. No issues though.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
'Sport' mode disables auto stop-start in all cases.

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
And I highly doubt Ford Performance would turn off that feature. There would be no benefit to them doing so. Unlike 3rd party tuners all I can tell is that the Ford Performance tune is just a remap of the fuel/air tables and some transmisssion tuning. Its the 3rd parties that can add features to the dash display, turn of FENG by default, turn off auto start/stop, etc. etc.

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
And I highly doubt Ford Performance would turn off that feature. There would be no benefit to them doing so. Unlike 3rd party tuners all I can tell is that the Ford Performance tune is just a remap of the fuel/air tables and some transmisssion tuning. Its the 3rd parties that can add features to the dash display, turn of FENG by default, turn off auto start/stop, etc. etc.
My guess is the FP tune doesn't change that because of EPA mileage rating. 3rd party tuners don't care about that.

Reactions
The only way to turn it off permanently without an eliminator is to use a tuning device. If you have the vcm suite program it is a check box that you click and it will turn it off.