Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Anyone try 19" snows?

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST High Perf Package
got a new ST, and for this upcoming winter tirerack.com has 19". From the pics of people's 20" snows on here, there seems to still be a lot of room to go an inch smaller. Anyone done that yet?

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Why not 18" then? That's what I got from Tirerack. If it were me, I'd keep an eye out for Timberline 18" rims. I think those would be sweet for winter use.

Reactions
This is what I got on mine

Ruffino Wheels - Reactor - Gloss Black - 19", 5x114.3
Nokian Hakkapeliitta HKR3SUV - 255/55R19

Attachments

Ricky

Reactions
Went with the 20" Wheel/Tire package from TireRack. Worked out well. snow tire wheel.jpeg snow tire suv.jpeg

Reactions
Went with the 20" Wheel/Tire package from TireRack. Worked out well.
Doesn't take rocket appliances to know that Michelin X-Ice Snow's are the best option for snow! Solid choice Raveen.. errrr... Ricky.

Mine are freshly dressed and look pretty greheheheasy with camera flash on, but I love them!

I also have a 20" rim. I spoke to a few tire shops about 18" and they all said it's too close to the larger caliper and if you deal with any wet snow it could be an issue. Surprised you got away with an 18" @hogdust, but if it works, good on you! Certainly cheaper.

Attachments

Reactions
Doesn't take rocket appliances to know that Michelin X-Ice Snow's are the best option for snow! Solid choice Raveen.. errrr... Ricky.

Mine are freshly dressed and look pretty greheheheasy with camera flash on, but I love them!

I also have a 20" rim. I spoke to a few tire shops about 18" and they all said it's too close to the larger caliper and if you deal with any wet snow it could be an issue. Surprised you got away with an 18" @hogdust, but if it works, good on you! Certainly cheaper.
Mine are 19" not 18" ;-) Cost me $3000 CDN for the Rims and Tires so not cheap

Reactions
I picked up a set of XLT rims and tires off Kijiji for $900. I plan to paint them black and use them for snow tires if I ever decide to drive the ST in winter.