Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Anyone Have Issues with their Tunes?

TexaST

Reactions
I’m in Texas and considering visiting Gearhead and getting a custom tune next week. Something about the questionable build quality of my ST has me nervous about installing a tune. Let me know if you’ve had any issues (especially powertrain) after installing your tunes!

Signel

Reactions
I have a 2020 and just tuned it. No issues beyond the standard stuff you hear on here about cosmetic and general issues. None are deal breakers for me. I've added about100hp so far, and it is awesome.

Reactions
I don't want to jinx myself here! I'll just say I am much happier with the ST post tune. I have LMS tune right now, but will be using ZFG very soon...hopefully next week.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Just make sure your car is running smoothly. Don't expect your tune to cure any driveablility problems. No issues for me with LMS.

OP
T

TexaST

Reactions
Thread Starter #6
All great feedback, thanks for the responses. I don’t have any current drivability issues that I’m trying to correct, but something about the ST doesn’t feel as robust as other performance SUV’s and I’m worried the increase in power may wreak havoc on the powertrain. That said, I’m still leaning towards a tune.

Dad_Mobile

Active Duty U.S. Army
Reactions
I’m in Texas and considering visiting Gearhead and getting a custom tune next week. Something about the questionable build quality of my ST has me nervous about installing a tune. Let me know if you’ve had any issues (especially powertrain) after installing your tunes!
I have run into issues with the ST since tuning it and I have taken it to the dealership to get some of those issues fixed with no problem. These ST’s do have odd kinks that need to be worked out and the build quality can be improved for sure. It seems like the engine and transmission are stout but I have encountered problems with stock throttle body, stock exhaust, random rattling x part.

The only thing I spent my $ on was exhaust. My tuner (GHT) has identified all the little minor things which been helpful. It’s always hard to take the plunge and tune an expensive new vehicle! It was a bit easier for me since GHT has tuned another vehicle for me and I trust the their ability.

Regardless of the tuner -these vehicles are so much fun to drive in the mid 500whp range!
Even though it’s blacked out with aggressive exhaust nobody really expects it to accelerate so hard even at higher rolls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
T

TexaST

Reactions
Thread Starter #8
What issues (if you don’t mind sharing)? And were they caused by the tune? I’m especially interested since I’m considering GHT.

Dad_Mobile

Active Duty U.S. Army
Reactions
Nothing caused by the tune.

First problem was a flextube that was rattling/vibrating which caused false KR, then I had a problem a the front wheel hitting the fender which caused false KR.

Some of these ST’s get false knock under light loads which is kind of alarming when you first see it. Apparently it’s from either the intake or the throttle body, I can’t remember.

Last edited:
OP
T

TexaST

Reactions
Thread Starter #10
Great information. This is exactly what I don't want happening - getting a tune and then having to resolve a false knock issue (or fixing something else). I'll continue thinking about it, but I appreciate the candid feedback.

Dad_Mobile

Active Duty U.S. Army
Reactions
No worries. It really comes down to your expectations/goals. I personally like to run down every detail and push the vehicle to its limits. Our goal is to eventually run a 10.9 1/4 mile.

You could also run a canned tune and get up too 100 hp and never have to really worry about anything. Any time you start tuning anything you enter the rabbit hole, it’s up to you how deep you go.

Reactions
Great information. This is exactly what I don't want happening - getting a tune and then having to resolve a false knock issue (or fixing something else). I'll continue thinking about it, but I appreciate the candid feedback.
I'm where you are TexaST. Keep reading. A lot of good people with good perspectives here and on this topic. I'm allowing my ST to age a little so any bugs can be worked out without any dealership hassle. One thing to consider before a tune is how far down that rabbit hole you are going to go. Get all the pre work done first then tune to that. Last thing on my list is a whipple intercooler. Once installed I'll call up Adam at ZFG and I'm done. Best of luck.

Xlordis

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 EXPLORER ST
Horror story here from New York went with zfg was sent a 93 tune right after I flashed car check engine light came on code p163f corrupt file pcm permanent code anyone has had this problem and does anyone know how to fix

Reactions
make sure you have lights turned off (default is auto on) and the STs Bluetooth and WiFi off, then reflash.

also, don’t touch ANYTHING while it’s flashing. It’s a habit for a lot of people to touch or hold the brake pedal.

Last edited:

Xlordis

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 EXPLORER ST
make sure you have lights turned off (default is auto on) and the STs Bluetooth and WiFi off, then reflash.

also, don’t touch ANYTHING while it’s flashing. It’s a habit for a lot of people to touch or hold the brake pedal.
I tried that same also tried flashing back to stock same problem

Reactions
Are you using the RTD or the MPVI2? What is the file name, including extension?

Also, you have the latest version of HP tuners and drivers installed? Try recording your laptop screen when you flash, would be good to see what is going on and when it’s having the error.

Last edited:

Xlordis

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 EXPLORER ST
Are you using the RTD or the MPVI2? What is the file name, including extension?

Also, you have the latest version of HP tuners and drivers installed? Try recording your laptop screen when you flash, would be good to see what is going on and when it’s having the error.