Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Anyone get frustrated with people thinking you are a cop?

MyTMerc

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
I used to own a 2004 Black Mercury Marauder and it happened all the time. Our Marauder club was very active and when we traveled together we were routinely mistaken for a group of FBI or LEOs. Nice when traffic gets out of your way but not so nice when they slow below the speed limit. I was behind a co-worker on the way into work the other day and he thought I was a LEO. Not at all why I bought either car, just love the performance and style.

hbalek

Reactions
I'm noticing it more and more lately and mine is bright red!? I think they only see the black grill and think it's a cop or fire chief.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Don't want to be confused with LEO'S? Get one in Iconic Silver, people pass me all the time. Lol

hbalek

Reactions
Don't want to be confused with LEO'S? Get one in Iconic Silver, people pass me all the time. Lol
Not necessarily, the largest suburban city police department near me uses silver cruisers and have done so for a while. The county uses an off white cream color and D.C. uses white. Some nearby jurisdictions are black or dark gray.

Last edited:

Ford Forever

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I have a Stone Blue colored one and have been waved at by the cops thinking I was an unmarked unit. Lol that never gets old!

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
My wife's Vanilla 300C had that effect. We made regular runs to Baton Rouge. People would see that big grill and those big shoulders coming up and move right over. I suspect Rapid Red isn't such a camouflage color.

hbalek

Reactions
My wife's Vanilla 300C had that effect. We made regular runs to Baton Rouge. People would see that big grill and those big shoulders coming up and move right over. I suspect Rapid Red isn't such a camouflage color.
Yet they still slow down or get out of my way!

KegsBdry

Reactions
My favorite is to hang out in the middle lane and wait for speeders. When they fly by me, I drive up on their tail and watch them freak out. :ROFLMAO:

One of them followed me to a gas station. I thought he was going to be pissed but he was more relieved than angry. He was cool about it. No more doing that trick on low fuel. :unsure:

Reactions
When the DRL's are on I don't get why people think I'm a cop. Maybe I'll turn them off and do some experimenting.

KegsBdry

Reactions
When the DRL's are on I don't get why people think I'm a cop. Maybe I'll turn them off and do some experimenting.
FYI - Some states require the DRL.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Not necessarily, the largest suburban city police department near me uses silver cruisers and have done so for a while. The county uses an off white cream color and D.C. uses white. Some nearby jurisdictions are black or dark gray.
Where I live local LEO's use black, and our State Police use another dark color. So Iconic Silver literally means nothing in that regard to people in my area.

I get passed with astonishing regularity, which is fine by me!

My favorite is to hang out in the middle lane and wait for speeders. When they fly by me, I drive up on their tail and watch them freak out. :ROFLMAO:

One of them followed me to a gas station. I thought he was going to be pissed but he was more relieved than angry. He was cool about it. No more doing that trick on low fuel. :unsure:
No offense, but that is one of the dumbest things I ever heard of.

Not only are your actions foolish, they're downright dangerous.

Blaster7Romeo

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Mine is Iconic Silver (the same color as state troopers here ) and the State Trooper here in NC did not seem to care when he pulled me over and gave me a ticket for 21 over :ROFLMAO:

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
So I am looking to by an ST and really like silver. My one hesitation is people thinking you are a cop and driving below the speed limit in front of you. Anyone with a silver ST that experiences this to the point where you wish you bought a different color?
I've had a few situations where people thought it was a police cruiser. It's mostly when they are passing me and they look over and think, "oh crap! That's a cop!!".... and then they slow down and don't pass. When they realize that I'm just an ordinary guy, they proceed to haul ass again XD

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Mine is Iconic Silver (the same color as state troopers here ) and the State Trooper here in NC did not seem to care when he pulled me over and gave me a ticket for 21 over :ROFLMAO:
Our troopers use different color schemes, and I even get tailgated with regularity. :LOL: