Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Anyone familiar with this product?

Reactions
I have not heard of them before, but it is an interesting concept. I'd like to know if anyone has had any experience with this kind of mod or not, also.

Reactions
Im 99.9% certain that this does nothing.

The OBD port cant, as far as I know, in real time, modify ECU maps. It can be used to flash tune maps to the ECU. It can be used to pull live data.

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
If the device can access the CAN bus it can intercept specific signal address, modify the signal and pass it on. It is no better than the ancient "interceptor" or piggyback type tuning devices. It can NOT change anything the ECU does, OTHER than modify the input signals. I still have several piggyback devices that do this. The higher end piggybacks can access many of the signals, but the main data is throttle inlet pressure, manifold absolute pressure, etc. There are many similar devices that modify the accelerator pedal signal to ramp it up quicker so you think the car is faster. You would get the same result by poking the pedal to the floor yourself, but the mental effect is lost.

Reactions
If the device can access the CAN bus it can intercept specific signal address, modify the signal and pass it on. It is no better than the ancient "interceptor" or piggyback type tuning devices. It can NOT change anything the ECU does, OTHER than modify the input signals. I still have several piggyback devices that do this. The higher end piggybacks can access many of the signals, but the main data is throttle inlet pressure, manifold absolute pressure, etc. There are many similar devices that modify the accelerator pedal signal to ramp it up quicker so you think the car is faster. You would get the same result by poking the pedal to the floor yourself, but the mental effect is lost.
I am pretty certain the OBD port lacks the ability for this to take place... especially fast enough for it to actually have affect.

If you have something like a scan gauge plugged in and to many parameters being monitored it cant update them fast enough. I understand this is an OBD port limitation and not a scan gauge limitation. IF thats true, there is NO WAY a device like this could modify sensor data fast enough for it to actually do anything.

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Well, you're wrong there rjacobs. The OBD port is and MUST be able to send/receive data at the ECU processing speed. The limitation is ALWAYS in the device used to capture it. These piggyback doodads don't capture the entire data stream, only those parameters it needs. Same as any device that accesses data from the OBD port.

Reactions
Well, you're wrong there rjacobs. The OBD port is and MUST be able to send/receive data at the ECU processing speed. The limitation is ALWAYS in the device used to capture it. These piggyback doodads don't capture the entire data stream, only those parameters it needs. Same as any device that accesses data from the OBD port.
I will admit I dont know all the ins and outs of OBD port speed.

But as far as the device in question, I still say it dont do shit.

It might be able to READ that data stream from the OBD, but I dont think the OBD port, in real time, can alter that signal. An ECU(in general terms) has what, 100 wires coming out of it??? The OBD port has 9 I think it is, and 2 of those are power related(+12v and ground). I simply HIGHLY doubt the plug in deal in the OP can do what it claims.

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Dude, do you understand CAN data bus traffic, or data buses in general? Apparently not.

The entire vehicle is controlled by the signals transmitted and received on a pair of wires called a Common Area Network (CAN) bus. There are ~20 plus controllers (small computers) in the ExST that literally run the vehicle. Yes, there are some things that are hardwired for safety reasons. The maximum speed of the CAN bus is 1 Mbit/second. Some CAN controllers can handle higher speeds for special applications.

I know this forum is for run-of-the-mill SUV owners who really don't know much, but it would help you tremendously to take some time and learn about automobile systems, both electronic and mechanical.

Last edited:
Reactions
No need to come here with that kind of attitude that you are superior to the rest of us "run of the mill SUV owners who dont really know much"...

So you think that a little device plugged into the OBD port can do what it claims?

I would say you should order one and put your money where you mouth is..

I say there is NO WAY this device can do what it claims to do through the OBD port, no matter what the OBD port is or may be capable of.

But I guess this discussion is over my head because I am just a "run of the mill SUV owner who doesnt really know much".

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Most likely that device is only interpreting and changing the signal of the "demand" in the accelerator pedal. In general (and I have to say I haven't looked at signals in the CAN bus on the explorer) but I don't see how it's changing the ECU maps in real-time. Notice info on the website:

No modifications are required for your performance chip to work on your vehicle. If you modify your vehicle in the future, the performance chip will recognize the modifications, adapt and correct the air/fuel mixtures.

The ECU will do that already based on feedback from the O2 sensors.

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
No need to come here with that kind of attitude that you are superior to the rest of us "run of the mill SUV owners who dont really know much"...

So you think that a little device plugged into the OBD port can do what it claims?

I would say you should order one and put your money where you mouth is..

I say there is NO WAY this device can do what it claims to do through the OBD port, no matter what the OBD port is or may be capable of.

But I guess this discussion is over my head because I am just a "run of the mill SUV owner who doesnt really know much".
I'm not "superior" to anyone, but yes, the entire discussion is way over your head. I certainly know WAY more about the topics I discuss than most forum hacks who know nothing, but provide input (crap opinions) anyway.

I hate these "little devices" because they are indeed limited and generally sold to ignorant people. That said however, they are somewhat effective, BUT because they DO NOT alter the actual ECU calculations, only the few signals, they are poor solutions for a real hotrodder/tuner/enthusiast.

As of today, my favorite software company, Cobb Tuning, doesn't have a software flash-tuning solution for the ExST. My secondary software company, HPTuners, does however, so I'll need to upgrade my OBD interface device to communicate with the ExST. In the interim, I did just order one of the subject "gadgets" and I will run back-to-back tests WITH data logs to show what it does and explain HOW it does it. These things are dirt simple. The REAL knowledge is in the full flash-tuning software.

I'll have fun playing with the "little device" and then sell it to you.

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Most likely that device is only interpreting and changing the signal of the "demand" in the accelerator pedal. In general (and I have to say I haven't looked at signals in the CAN bus on the explorer) but I don't see how it's changing the ECU maps in real-time. Notice info on the website:

No modifications are required for your performance chip to work on your vehicle. If you modify your vehicle in the future, the performance chip will recognize the modifications, adapt and correct the air/fuel mixtures.

The ECU will do that already based on feedback from the O2 sensors.

You're referring to doodads like the "Pedal Commander" and similar devices. This one can likely also do that, but that's not everything it does. Please don't think I'm trying to defend any of these cheap/poor solution products. My goal is to provide truth/information rather than guesses about the what/how something works. If I don't know, I won't claim otherwise, unlike the majority.

See my avatar for your feelings...

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
You're referring to doodads like the "Pedal Commander" and similar devices. This one can likely also do that, but that's not everything it does. Please don't think I'm trying to defend any of these cheap/poor solution products. My goal is to provide truth/information rather than guesses about the what/how something works. If I don't know, I won't claim otherwise, unlike the majority.

See my avatar for your feelings...
First of all, I didn't say anything about "feelings", so I'm not sure why you stated that. However for someone who says they don't know what the device does but then adds, "This one can likely also do that, but that's not everything it does." without any knowledge whatsoever about what it does belies what you're saying. Generally, the CAN bus is used to send information as events (to be responded to via various subsystems), and steady state broadcast information.

Your attitude whether you're correct or not, is off-putting.

OP
O
Reactions
Thread Starter #15
Is this your first post?

I'm pretty sure rjacobs is right. this may do nothing.
Is this your first post?

I'm pretty sure rjacobs is right. this may do nothing.

This is in fact my 1st post, but I've been on the forum for a while now. There are a few YouTube reviews of the product, the majority of the reviews tend to lean toward the product not doing a dang thing.

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
First of all, I didn't say anything about "feelings", so I'm not sure why you stated that. However for someone who says they don't know what the device does but then adds, "This one can likely also do that, but that's not everything it does." without any knowledge whatsoever about what it does belies what you're saying. Generally, the CAN bus is used to send information as events (to be responded to via various subsystems), and steady state broadcast information.

Your attitude whether you're correct or not, is off-putting.
Read my avatar for your "off-put" feeling. Your ignorance is palpable.

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Welp, I installed like the instructions said and realized by the way you installed it that it could not actually DO anything. The hardware/software exist for this type of device to actually alter the PCM to increase power, BUT this doodad is indeed snake oil of the worst sort. The dude(?) claims to be a veteran trying to make it. That part is probably true, but the whole thing is a pure scam. I was really hoping it would be legit and gave it the full opportunity to meet even a little bit of the claim(s), but nope, junk.

I ran the ExpST on the same road each direction same process as before device installation. It had about 5 gallons more fuel in it, but fresh fuel after the required driving distance. Here are the Dragy before/after results as actual PROOF that it isn't worth the plastic it's made of. The ExpST ran a tenth slower with the device installed vs without. I'll call it a wash as the trap speed was essentially the same. The extra ~50lbs of fuel weight accounts for the tenth difference. Oh well...

IMG_2838.jpg IMG_2838.jpg

Attachments

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Is my ignorance still "palpable"? LOL

But, respect for a post that'll save somebody money.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
You spent a lot of money to prove you were wrong and you can't even give a "my bad"? And then you edit out my the part of my response that was civil? Those who read this thread will make their own judgement.

Explorer ST Posts