Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Anyone else noticing cosmetic defects from Factory?

RevlineST

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Had a few interior cosmetic issues, one resolved and the other scheduled to be resolved; both require replacement of one driver door panel (scratch) and a rear upper interior panel (another scratch). Also noticed a dent in the hood that has already been resolved.

Yesterday, as I was detailing the car, I noticed another dent on the driver fender (pictured) where the fender and hood line up and also noticed the hood and fender on the passenger do not line up like they should (also pictured).

This level of quality, or lack thereof is concerning and aggravating for a $55k+ vehicle...

Attachments

F=MA

Reactions
Inspected mine at delivery. It was trailered in from St. Louis on a dealer trade. The rear bumper piece had to have something fall against it before it was installed at the factory unless a machine did it during installation. You would think it would have been called out on a QC inspection. It almost looks like the paint was wet when it happened. It's on the pass rear side behind the rear passenger wheel opening and I never see it except when I apply ceramic wax. I could have gotten it fixed if I wanted. My salesman and I thought since I trade so often that I might as well leave it. Now with all the modifications done to this vehicle I'll probably keep it a lot longer than I normally would. They would have to repaint the entire rear bumper just to correct that small dent. I may still get it done someday.

IMG_4967.JPG IMG_4968.JPG

Last edited:

dolsen

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Had a few interior cosmetic issues, one resolved and the other scheduled to be resolved; both require replacement of one driver door panel (scratch) and a rear upper interior panel (another scratch). Also noticed a dent in the hood that has already been resolved.

Yesterday, as I was detailing the car, I noticed another dent on the driver fender (pictured) where the fender and hood line up and also noticed the hood and fender on the passenger do not line up like they should (also pictured).

This level of quality, or lack thereof is concerning and aggravating for a $55k+ vehicle...
Those aren't necessarily factory defects, though they could be. There is a lot of damage that occurs during transport as well, and is more likely to occur there. But there are some factory escapes that happen as well. I am having a hard time seeing what the issues are in the photos. The first photo appears to be a small circular scratch on the left (driver's side) fender? The second photo I cannot find the issue, and the third appears to maybe be a scuff mark on the drivers side door?

I used to address all of the paint related warranty claims for one of the Ford plants, so I have a little experience with this.

Staggie

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
the only thing I’ve found is this paint blob on the top of the roof.
6FE1CC9C-03DA-42A3-95EA-07ED84764C4D.jpeg

Blackssr

Reactions

Yes indeed... But it's a Ford not a Rolls-Royce. A friend of mine picked up a new Tesla and the body panels are a disgrace. The gap tolerances are uneven. And that's on $150,000 car. I think Tesla's are butt ass ugly anyway and the fitment of the body panels are worse than the Fisker Karma from a few years back. I have a master's in electrical engineering and I could appreciate Tesla's technology, however he needs to shoot his design team. For the for that kind of coin those cars should look a lot better and be more aesthetically pleasing. I think they are all plain looking with no WOW factor. It seems they are designed for a 80-year-old retired Jewish cardiologist that drives to golf course on a Sunday. Lol

Last edited:

dolsen

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
View attachment 3629
That looks more like an "ecoat drip" but without cutting into it, it's hard to tell (and could just was well be a glob of paint). Either way you have a clear case of paint warranty defect there, regardless of root cause.

Blackssr

Reactions
View attachment 3629
Seriously you didn't notice that when you were looking at the car? whenever I buy a vehicle it better be in stock so I can give it the complete look over. I even bring a friend so he can catch something that I may have missed. Once a car has paint work the resale value plummets. A car is only virgin once.

dolsen

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Seriously you didn't notice that when you were looking at the car? whenever I buy a vehicle it better be in stock so I can give it the complete look over. I even bring a friend so he can catch something that I may have missed. Once a car has paint work the resale value plummets. A car is only virgin once.
I'm willing to bet it looks much bigger in the photo than it actually is. If I had to guess it's about a half a dime size. Most people don't climb up high enough on a vehicle to see the roof of an SUV when buying a vehicle. This is absolutely a factory "escape", but even with me knowing very well about all of these types of defects, even I do not look for them.

Staggie

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
To be honest, I did look over the vehicle, but I neglected to check the actual roof. I haven’t had a chance to take it in yet as we just got back from our drive from Las Vegas (from east coast). I’m in no rush to get it looked at. But I will bring it to their attention when I make it to a dealership.

Blackssr

Reactions
To be honest, I did look over the vehicle, but I neglected to check the actual roof. I haven’t had a chance to take it in yet as we just got back from our drive from Las Vegas (from east coast). I’m in no rush to get it looked at. But I will bring it to their attention when I make it to a dealership.
That's the issue dealing with the dealer. Hopefully it won't be too much paint work on the roof.

Last edited:

Dave G ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Many of the hoods on the Explorers are off just a bit. One of the first things I noticed. Luckily mine is just about right, otherwise it would bother the heck out of me, since I wash it every week.

Reactions
As a painter, you’d be crazy to get that little blob fixed! Just leave it. I generally work on high end cars (Caddy’s, Jags, LR, Porsche etc. And people get tri-stage paints that are impossible to match and we have to blend everything. You have a door paint defect and end up painting the entire side of the car lol. There’s no ways around it. It sucks!!! Who in their right mine wants to have that much work done on a Brand new vehicle?