Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Any dealers offering the sport pack upgrade post-purchase?

Reactions
I have a non-sport pack, but might want to upgrade. As it is just wheels + tires + brakes, i'm sure it can be installed separately, but would rather not have to deal with the old wheels+tires+brakes and sell them myself. Anyone know of any dealers doing this and how much it might cost?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
The wheel set with tires alone is almost $4K from a dealer.
I’m selling mine next week for $2K plus shipping or free pick up in Houston.

OP
L
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Good to know, better of going used. How about the brakes, anyone know?

QwikEVO

Active Duty U.S. Air Force
Reactions
Good to know, better of going used. How about the brakes, anyone know?
Until someone puts out big brake kits, your best bet is gonna be brand new from the dealer or salvage yards.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Definitely wait on the aftermarket. For one reason...as soon as a real big brake kit is released my Street Pack brakes will be for sale for cheap. lol

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Definitely wait on the aftermarket. For one reason...as soon as a real big brake kit is released my Street Pack brakes will be for sale for cheap. lol
If you come across something, let me know. This is the #1 item on my want list at the moment. Why Ford decided to draw attention to a two-piston caliper with red paint, I'm not sure. It couldn't have been too difficult to put 6-piston Brembos on the front--the Focus RS has freaking Brembos for crying out loud, so we know Ford has the supply line. I have had zero complaints with these brakes, if they can stop a Raptor, they can stop my explorer, but its a look thing for sure that bugs me.

OP
L
Reactions
Thread Starter #7
If you come across something, let me know. This is the #1 item on my want list at the moment. Why Ford decided to draw attention to a two-piston caliper with red paint, I'm not sure. It couldn't have been too difficult to put 6-piston Brembos on the front--the Focus RS has freaking Brembos for crying out loud, so we know Ford has the supply line. I have had zero complaints with these brakes, if they can stop a Raptor, they can stop my explorer, but its a look thing for sure that bugs me.
The sport back brakes are the same as those on the Raptor? I wonder if any other aftermarket brakes are compatible with this platform.

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
That seems to be the current prevailing wisdom. I don't have access to internal part #s or anything and I'm sure there are mounting differences, but yes, the Raptor and F-150 Sport also come with two-piston brakes of similar size and design.

The sport back brakes are the same as those on the Raptor? I wonder if any other aftermarket brakes are compatible with this platform.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
That seems to be the current prevailing wisdom. I don't have access to internal part #s or anything and I'm sure there are mounting differences, but yes, the Raptor and F-150 Sport also come with two-piston brakes of similar size and design.
Raptor uses the same brakes as all other current F150’s. I just spent years messing with those. I wound up with Wilwoods on mine.
A few F150 guys have also mounted the Mustang Brembo front calipers.
What will be hard is the rear...no aftermarket companies are doing a rear caliper for the e-parking brake. Wilwood has a separate parking brake caliper but it needs a custom mount. Little Shop Mfg did those on an F150 and used the front rotors and big caliper on all 4 corners.

OP
L
Reactions
Thread Starter #10
Are the street pack/hipo calipers the same as non street pack? The only upgrades are the rotors and pads?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Rotors are larger f/r and the front calipers are larger. I need to cross the PN’s but the front calipers look to be from an F150.