Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Android Auto - Incoming Calls - No Audio both directions

Reactions
2020 ST - Android Auto

Outgoing calls from the car work flawlessly. All incoming calls I am able to answer without issue but there is no audio in the vehicle and the end user can not hear anything. I have tried with a Pixel 3 XL and Pixel 4 XL. Reset the radio to factory (I assume used the on screen menu to reset). So I know for certain its not a microphone issue or anything else due to outgoing calls work fine. Any thoughts or ideas of what I can try?

Reactions
Mine does the same thing, it's super annoying... I've been through the settings page 1000 times and I can't find the problem

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk

OP
T
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
To add I have ensured all software on my phone and vehicle are on the latest.

Reactions
Yep, I have the same problem.

OP
T
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
So no resolution for you all? I would totally get it if it didnt work both ways there was a hardware issue but seeing is how this is one way it most definitely a software issue. Either of you taken it to the dealer?

Reactions
I've been waiting for a dealership "loaner car" to become available because I'm already going to have to leave it with them to fix a problem with my liftgate not closing.

OP
T
Reactions
Thread Starter #7
I've been waiting for a dealership "loaner car" to become available because I'm already going to have to leave it with them to fix a problem with my liftgate not closing.
If they find a resolution to the call issue please let me know. One of our explorers has been at the dealer for what feels like forever. Really hesitant to take mine in but might if we ever get the other back.

Wes

Reactions
Go into the phone settings on the car and turn off the car's ringer for incoming calls. Should fix it.

OP
T
Reactions
Thread Starter #9
Go into the phone settings on the car and turn off the car's ringer for incoming calls. Should fix it.
OMG. How flipping dumb. Turn off the cars ring tone or set it to use the phones ring tone and it works!!! THANK YOU!!

Reactions
So you have to turn off the car's ring tone and the calls work properly? Why have they connected those for the calls to work properly?

OP
T
Reactions
Thread Starter #11
So you have to turn off the car's ring tone and the calls work properly? Why have they connected those for the calls to work properly?
Phone connected to bluetooth only. Go into the phone settings / ring tones. Turn it either off or to use phone ring tone. Reconnect to Android Auto. Phone calls work perfectly. Prior to this info only outgoing calls had audio. Stupid bug that has been around for a long time apparently according to Youtube. Wes is a life saver. This was my only real complaint about the car so far.

Reactions
Phone connected to bluetooth only. Go into the phone settings / ring tones. Turn it either off or to use phone ring tone. Reconnect to Android Auto. Phone calls work perfectly. Prior to this info only outgoing calls had audio. Stupid bug that has been around for a long time apparently according to Youtube. Wes is a life saver. This was my only real complaint about the car so far.
Thank you. I guess the problem exists for iphones as well? I will give that a try with my iphone.

OP
T
Reactions
Thread Starter #13
Thank you. I guess the problem exists for iphones as well? I will give that a try with my iphone.
I am not sure only seen reports for Android Auto. Takes 30 seconds. Please give it a try and let everyone know. Hopefully help someone in the future.

Reactions
I am not sure only seen reports for Android Auto. Takes 30 seconds. Please give it a try and let everyone know. Hopefully help someone in the future.
Ok, tried it today and it works flawlessly. I have only used it for outgoing calls till now, today after checking the settings as per your recommendation, I found that it was already set to the "use phone ringtone" option. I got an incoming call as well and it work as expected. Only one observation, the ringtone only rings once and the via the car audio and then stops (no more ringtone). Not a complaint, I am in the car and there is no way I will miss the ring (even if only once) so just an observation with the iphone connected via bluetooth.

Wes

Reactions
I had the same problem on delivery. Ford couldn't help me. Dealer was unable to help. Finally found it buried in some Android forum somewhere and it fixed it. You'd think they'd do a better job of getting this out there.

OP
T
Reactions
Thread Starter #16
I had the same problem on delivery. Ford couldn't help me. Dealer was unable to help. Finally found it buried in some Android forum somewhere and it fixed it. You'd think they'd do a better job of getting this out there.
Spoke with the service manager. Sent them a message before your extremely helpful tip. He called after you assisted in fixing the issue. I asked if he heard about the issue. He said they had no idea but could run some diagnostics and ensure its all up to date. I said no thanks and shared your info.

Wes

Reactions
It's really frustrating how the dealers are completely inept with the tech side of the cars. I find better information in these forums. Although I think I found this solution buried somewhere in an Android forum.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I am sure it is in the owners manual - NOT. The documentation is pretty half assed IMHO. And I thought my Toyota manual was not detailed until I saw this one.

Ghaleon4

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Just used this thread to fix the problem on my end! Thank you so much!!!
2016 Focus ST /w Note 20 Ultra