Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Aftermarket Tune Rankings and issues you may have had.

Reactions
I am honestly getting ready to order a tune.....I for some reason do not think ford performance is going to release one.

I would just like members input on how they would rank the tune vendors ...ZFG, 5*, PBD, others. Also if you have had one of these tunes maybe post any dislikes, likes, or even issues you had.

I would appreciate the input.

Thanks.

LokiWolf

Reactions
1) ZFG
2) PBD
Distant 3) LMS
FAR Distant 4) 5Star

5 Star seems to be hit and miss. Some are happy, some lose there Trans within a very few miles.

I have run ZFG since day one and very happy. I have post Dyno and entries in here, and many Dragy’s. The other main tune thread has a bunch of info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Livernois
PRO:
-respectable power
-nice trans tuning
-simplest device to use
-good customer service
-very solid: you won't be beta testing a tune like others are doing

CONS:
-not a custom tune
-cannot display gear all the time (although they told me they will work on it as they've done it in the past)

Pretty happy with my Livernois. That said, I have no interest in Draggy numbers or bragging rights. It's just too bad their sale price is over.

Last edited:

RadRick

Reactions
I just traded in my MK2 Focus RS for a 2020 Explorer ST. I'm a business owner and these are my company cars. I put 30k to 40k miles on a year. The RS had a Stratified tune making est 375 on 91 octane and over 400 on E30. I only did the E30 4 or 4 times in the 85k miles I put on it. The ST is replacing the RS as my daily and replacing my tow vehicle. I definitely want to tune it but am looking for some added fun, mpg gains and reliability even with the towing. It won't be towing very often and mostly a 2k boat or utility trailer. It will tow a 5k to 6k covered trailer once in awhile. Suggestions?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
ZFG 1st…everyone else is just fighting for 2nd place.

OK ST

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
I used Gearhead www.ghtuning.com, on my 2020 F-150 and the tune works great. I went with GH because their tune for the F-150 was more refined and more street oriented, rather than a "race" tune. So I went with GH for the ST as well and I'm very please with the auto octane tune provided. One tune, allows me to use all the modes and everything works, shifts and pulls with authority as it should.

I have no doubt that ZFG can make your ST go fast, but sometimes you just want a tune that is very refined and just works as it should plus provide more performance than stock.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I used Gearhead www.ghtuning.com, on my 2020 F-150 and the tune works great. I went with GH because their tune for the F-150 was more refined and more street oriented, rather than a "race" tune. So I went with GH for the ST as well and I'm very please with the auto octane tune provided. One tune, allows me to use all the modes and everything works, shifts and pulls with authority as it should.

I have no doubt that ZFG can make your ST go fast, but sometimes you just want a tune that is very refined and just works as it should plus provide more performance than stock.
Not to argue because I like Matt as well but your last sentence implies ZFG is just fast…many of us can assure you it’s even more refined than stock, especially the transmission and works perfectly.

OK ST

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Not my intent to imply that at all, but to offer that there are other alternatives out there that work great for those of us that are not looking to eek every bit of performance out of their ST.

Reactions
I just loaded up a ZFG tune earlier this week. The extra power is awesome and drivability is great. Tempted to add an e50 tune in the future too.

RadRick

Reactions
The ZFG is "out of stock" and the gearhead description for their tune has me confused. Are they saying this tune is to be used with a aftermarket intercooler or does it work with a stock setup?

2020+ Explorer ST
AO, AO with Intercooler, PE30, PE30 with Intercooler, and 2-tune packages available!
After years of success with tuning the transverse 3.5 EcoBoost in the Explorer Sport, we feel that Ford knocked one out of the park with the Explorer ST. With a more robust powertrain than its transverse predecessor and the potent 3.0 liter engine, power levels available with only a simple intercooler upgrade are quite impressive. As a customer, be assured a level of safety was paramount to each calibration even with the elevated power levels. Transmission tuning is included and eliminates the annoying off-throttle gear holding in sport mode that many complain about as well.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Looks to me like they offer 4 different tunes (highlighted in your post), and the ability for you to have two of them available at the same time. So, two different octane tunes, each with or without intercooler.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
The ZFG is "out of stock" and the gearhead description for their tune has me confused. Are they saying this tune is to be used with a aftermarket intercooler or does it work with a stock setup?

2020+ Explorer ST
AO, AO with Intercooler, PE30, PE30 with Intercooler, and 2-tune packages available!
After years of success with tuning the transverse 3.5 EcoBoost in the Explorer Sport, we feel that Ford knocked one out of the park with the Explorer ST. With a more robust powertrain than its transverse predecessor and the potent 3.0 liter engine, power levels available with only a simple intercooler upgrade are quite impressive. As a customer, be assured a level of safety was paramount to each calibration even with the elevated power levels. Transmission tuning is included and eliminates the annoying off-throttle gear holding in sport mode that many complain about as well.
You have to get on the waitlist for ZFG. They will email you when it is your turn to order. They use datalogging and there is some back and forth, that is why he is only allowing a few people at a time to order.

AO = Auto octane, will adjust for bad or shit gas.
AO w/IC = Auto octane but you have an aftermarket intercooler aka Whipple.
PE30 = blending 91/93 with E85 to get E30.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
In many places, their "93" octane is termed PE30 since it's 93 (R+M)/2 octane but has 30% ethanol content. In those cases, no blending would be needed. Here in TN, I can get 93 with 10% ethanol or 93 straight- no ethanol. Mixing the straight 93 with ethanol would give even higher octane. Picture is NOT from TN.

Attachments

Last edited:

LokiWolf

Reactions
In many places, their "93" octane is termed PE30 since it's 93 (R+M)/2 octane but has 30% ethanol content. In those cases, no blending would be needed. Here in TN, I can get 93 with 10% ethanol or 93 straight- no ethanol. Mixing the straight 93 with ethanol would give even higher octane. Picture is NOT from TN.
93(E10) mixed with E85, to get a E30 blend with 93, is NOT he same as the E30 listed on this pump. An E30 Blend gained from mixing E85 with 93(E10) will have an even higher Octane rating.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I get it that if you've got 93(E10) and add E85 you're going to have a higher octane. So the Gearhead "PE30" tune requires you blend? Good information if you don't want to deal with calculating at the pump. I assumed (incorrectly) that he lived someplace where that type of pump gas was the 93 octane equivalent.