Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

After installing tune/IC

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ford explorer st
After installing the 93 tune is it recommended to change the spark plugs? I've heard if you switch out to a bigger fuel pump then obviously you would need to with injectors. But I am strictly wondering about the spark plugs. I've read on here mixed reviews depending on fuel type. I run strictly 93 fuel and I am pretty easy on the car. I might get on it when I get an itch but not very often. Thanks in advance.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
After installing the 93 tune is it recommended to change the spark plugs? I've heard if you switch out to a bigger fuel pump then obviously you would need to with injectors. But I am strictly wondering about the spark plugs. I've read on here mixed reviews depending on fuel type. I run strictly 93 fuel and I am pretty easy on the car. I might get on it when I get an itch but not very often. Thanks in advance.
This response to this is going to vary highly depending on who you are talking to. Generally speaking, it does no harm whatsoever to go one heat range colder on a tuned ST so why not for cheap insurance and a quick tune-up?

I've been running the NGK Ruthenium plugs now for a few thousand miles with zero issues. Livernois tune and CVF intercooler.

OP
W
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ford explorer st
Thread Starter #3
I will look into this. When you go down one heat ranger does it help with performance and timing? Thank you for your input

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I will look into this. When you go down one heat ranger does it help with performance and timing? Thank you for your input
Heat range in itself will not produce any additional power. However it will allow you make additional power from things like increased timing and boost without the spark plug turning into a glow plug and causing detonation/preignition.

OP
W
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ford explorer st
Thread Starter #5
Heat range in itself will not produce any additional power. However it will allow you make additional power from things like increased timing and boost without the spark plug turning into a glow plug and causing detonation/preignition.
I appreciate it this. Very helpful. I will look over at the spark plugs. I will have to do some research and figure out which ones I'll go with. I've heard that brand a lot that you have.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
This response to this is going to vary highly depending on who you are talking to. Generally speaking, it does no harm whatsoever to go one heat range colder on a tuned ST so why not for cheap insurance and a quick tune-up?

I've been running the NGK Ruthenium plugs now for a few thousand miles with zero issues. Livernois tune and CVF intercooler.
Any extra gapping with this?
A previous turbo car I had, we ran colder plugs and had to gap them an extra 30 thousandths to retain the right spark kernel

Reactions
Vehicle
Explorer ST
A previous turbo car I had, we ran colder plugs and had to gap them an extra 30 thousandths to retain the right spark kernel
Most of the typical sites you can purchase colder plugs from sell them pre-gapped to the right spec

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
An extra .030" is way too much. The "spark kernel" has nothing to do with the heat range of the plug. If you're of the mind that a colder range plug is necessary buy them. But it's not needed, especially if you're running any type of ethanol blend like E30. A simple explanation.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
^ The other end of the equation was the resistance change to a platinum plug from an engine designed not to have them. I was using it as an example and curious if there were any quirks like that for plugs in the ST.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Just an FYI, platinum is 50 times more resistant than copper, so I would expect platinum to gapped more tightly. Uses of platinum, iridum, ruthenium, etc are skewed towards longevity rather than any performance benefits. Using copper and experimenting with as wide a gap as possible without misfire will give you the best possible "spark" performance. Indexing the plugs can also be slightly beneficial, but practically it's very difficult to achieve since correct orientation is guesswork.