Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Advice appreciated 2021 ST

Symetry

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Some of you guys already know that I'm trying to make a deal on a new 2021 ST.
I have provided a link to the one at my dealer ,that I'm looking at.
It is the only ST within 200 miles of me.
Any comments , criticism, or other advise would be appreciated.

I'm still negotiating ,
I have noted that this one doesn't have the roof rails. Personally I like it better without. Comments?
Would y'all look at window sticker and tell me what you think.
https://www.paducahford.com/new-Paducah-2021-Ford-Explorer-ST-1FM5K8GC7MGA45038

I'm getting a little anxious.

Thanks
Jim

Last edited:
Reactions
That’s just like mine except for the sunroof. Didn’t want that and 99% of dealer stock had sunroofs. Since it’s the only one around, it makes it a bit harder to negotiate but I think you should be able to get 5K off, maybe 6. The Hi Perf package is really kind of a waste because the only difference between it and the Street Pkg is the brake pads. It used to add better tires too but they made them both the same; at least in 2020 they did. It’s equipped well and the color is awesome. Best resale value too. I just had new exhaust tips put on...3 1/2” quads, black powder coated. Really looks good. The tips were the only chrome/stainless steel on that car. Keeping the stock muffler system (I hate the sound of a V6 with louder exhaust).

OP
Symetry

Symetry

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Update.
Spent 2 hours at dealer today. They drove my Lincoln twice, we gave them a goal I had , which I knew was low , but start low is my MO.

They started at $58,930 minus $20000 trade in= 38,930.
They threw in another $2000,
($22,000 for my car) plus $2000 dealer discount, now at $34, 930 and my car.
I told them my top dollar would be $30, 000 and my car..
They drove my car again. Came back with $33,750

That's when I left them to chew on it for a while. I still gotta pay TTL of about $2100.
Which I'll pay out of pocket separate , so I'm not paying interest on taxes.

They say they can get me 1.9% interest. Which I hate.

They told me there are no incentives , no 0% financing on 2021 models yet, because nobody would buy the left over 2020s , which have 0% financing. I told them , that must be working because there isn't a 2020 model within 200 miles.

Gonna see if they squeeze a little more out .

If not I may just go ahead and buy it. So, don't tell them :)

Jim

Last edited:
Reactions
You’re playing them right. Those guys hate it when buyers walk away. If there was another car at another dealership, it would give you more leverage. Good luck...hope it works out well for you.

OP
Symetry

Symetry

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
You’re playing them right. Those guys hate it when buyers walk away. If there was another car at another dealership, it would give you more leverage. Good luck...hope it works out well for you.
I'm betting I get a phone call by end of the week.
They told me last month was the worst month they ever had. This is a BIG dealership. Tremendous inventory on lot.

If I don't hear from them I'll call them over the weekend and go up $500.

Jim

dolsen

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
I think you're doing it correctly. From my experience, you'll know when the dealer is done negotiating when they start getting dismissive. It sounds like they're still working with you for now.

However it appears your numbers are off. 58930-20000 does not equal 36930, it equals 38930. I'm not trying to ridicule you by any stretch, just trying to get a true valuation of everything. As it stands now, if MSRP is 58930 and you sales prices is 33750, it appears you're getting about $25200 for your trade? I think there is still a little more wiggle room personally, like maybe $2k more (depending on how much they're willing to come down off MSRP or eat into their profit by giving you more for your trade.

OP
Symetry

Symetry

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #7
Yep, your right. My head was still wobbling from all the numbers I crunched. I left out a dealer discount. I went back and edited it.:rolleyes:

Your exactly right about some more wiggle room.
The bottom line at the end of our session is $33,750 and my car .

I'm willing to go $32,000 and my car. We are $1750 apart.

I'll wait and see what they do.

No cd player. Guess I gotta use my phone.... No big deal. That's what I do in my car.

Jim

Last edited:

Dallas ST

Reactions
I'd reach out to some other dealers in your region to get pricing on a 2020 just like it. Many more incentives and more flexible on pricing. I'd drive a few hours to save a few thousand. Also don't forget even on the 21's I think they offer $500 for first responders, medical professionals, and military service members.

Dallas ST

Reactions
OP
Symetry

Symetry

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #10
Thanks man, that's 1 hour 15 minutes from my house. Never heard of them. I will keep an eye on them for sure.
We have got our hearts set on white though.

I'm hoping this dealer in Paducah calls me with another cut.

Jim

Last edited: