Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Actuator noise when open driver door

Kneb8

Reactions
I've asked others and no one seems to know other than fuel pump priming. Just curious if anyone knows of a fix...

2020ST 28k miles

When open driver door, a 2sec grinding actuator noise happens. Just annoying and cheap sounding and never heard ANY car do this. Any help much appreciated.

Attachments

Autoworker

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Mine clicks and whirrs just sitting in the garage. Haven't got a clue of what it's doing. :)

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I've asked others and no one seems to know other than fuel pump priming. Just curious if anyone knows of a fix...

2020ST 28k miles

When open driver door, a 2sec grinding actuator noise happens. Just annoying and cheap sounding and never heard ANY car do this. Any help much appreciated.
So does your wife drive it? Did you adjust something while driving it last? It is likely the memory seat/wheel/mirrors returning to saved settings. Do you have the Easy Entry-Exit function enabled?

The car does do a whole plethora of things while sitting locked. I don't care to investigate the specific activities, but they are likely automatic self-tests it performs as the formal "shut-down" process. My Focus RS cycles the exhaust valve and a few other servos when you open the door with the key in hand. If no key, no activities.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
So does your wife drive it? Did you adjust something while driving it last? It is likely the memory seat/wheel/mirrors returning to saved settings. Do you have the Easy Entry-Exit function enabled?

The car does do a whole plethora of things while sitting locked. I don't care to investigate the specific activities, but they are likely automatic self-tests it performs as the formal "shut-down" process. My Focus RS cycles the exhaust valve and a few other servos when you open the door with the key in hand. If no key, no activities.
That's a pretty good diagnosis!

Reactions
When I open the driver door mine chirps real soft like a bird?

OP
Kneb8

Kneb8

Reactions
Thread Starter #6

***Wife doesn't drive it and the easy entry exit is toggled off. Not it... but thanks for having me check anyway.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
My mother who is about 5'2" bought a nice Cadillac with memory features and easy exit in 2004. I had never ridden in one. She asked me to drive to the store one day. When I got in and put the key in the ignition, the seat started forward into "old lady resting on steering wheel mode". I can't tell you my surprise when the seat started moving forward while the steering wheel came back towards me. I thought I was in Christine!

Popeye89

Reactions
Mine clicks and whirrs just sitting in the garage. Haven't got a clue of what it's doing. :)
I’ve noticed all of the clicks and whirls right after I turn off my car and I sit there for 30 seconds. Oddest thing

Tommy Flippen

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
There is a page in the manual that states those sounds are the many circuit breakers closing after turning the engine off as the ST shuts down. In the morning unlocking mine with the fob the sounds are there as it's getting ready to go before starting it....

RadioJoe

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
My 2020 sounds the same as yours. It's been sounding that way since I got it. It's a mechanical actuator, no idea what it is doing. I believe it is normal.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
These cars talk to you. I had been working on my Explorer the other day installing an intercooler. About 4 hours into it started talking to me, actuators making noise. No opening of doors or anything that I can think of that may have triggered anything.