Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Active Grille Shutters

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I’m wanting to upgrade the intercooler.

How can I know if these mini blinds can be removed in my climate? I’m in the middle of NC. It’s not the the North Pole, but we do get snow/ice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions

How can I know if these mini blinds can be removed in my climate? I’m in the middle of NC. It’s not the the North Pole, but we do get snow/ice.

South NC here. I just left them in. Not sure if they ever spend much time closed. Someone correct me if over simplifying it. If you do take them out only remove the shutters not the assembly. Leave everything plugged in

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor

Why would you want to do this?
South NC here. I just left them in. Not sure if they ever spend much time closed. Someone correct me if over simplifying it. If you do take them out only remove the shutters not the assembly. Leave everything plugged in
Yes, unless codes will show.

OP
techmattNC
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #4
Why would you want to do this?
Well, the OEM intercooler is puny, and a larger intercooler is a very popular upgrade for the Explorer ST.

Removing the grille shutters is thought to allow more airflow.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
Well, the OEM intercooler is puny, and a larger intercooler is a very popular upgrade for the Explorer ST.

Removing the grille shutters is thought to allow more airflow.

First off the stock intercooler is fine for stock power numbers. I think I would need some rock solid numbers for removing the shutters. I wouldn't mess too much on grille shutters, I dont think it is worth the trouble, and plus there is a reason Ford put them there. I do not think you will see a difference.

blackdog

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Removing the shutters will generate error codes.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
Removing the shutters will generate error codes.
It will only generate codes if you remove the whole assmembly. If you just remove the shutters, it wont.

Reactions
Living in S/W Fl. I removed them when installing whipple IC. It did throw a code but after clearing it all has been good for over 6,000 miles.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST

the reason for the shutters is the allow for the car to warm up to operating temperature while staying closed. once it reaches optimal temp it then opens them up.

should it warm up without them open? absolutely! will it take longer in an enviroment that has cold winters? absolutely! Are they necessary? meh, not really. Vehicles have warmed up just fine in Fargo ND for the last 100 years without automatic shutters. if the fins are removed without removing the motor there is generally not any codes that will pop up.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
the reason for the shutters is the allow for the car to warm up to operating temperature while staying closed. once it reaches optimal temp it then opens them up.

should it warm up without them open? absolutely! will it take longer in an enviroment that has cold winters? absolutely! Are they necessary? meh, not really. Vehicles have warmed up just fine in Fargo ND for the last 100 years without automatic shutters. if the fins are removed without removing the motor there is generally not any codes that will pop up.
They arent necessary vut they help the engine warm up faster, putting less wear and tear on the engine parts. I dont see the point to this mod as I cant see a differwnce that is worth it.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
They arent necessary vut they help the engine warm up faster, putting less wear and tear on the engine parts. I dont see the point to this mod as I cant see a differwnce that is worth it.
I'd like to point out that the grill shutters aren't used to "help the engine warm up faster". That is the job of the thermostat. In fact, until the engine warms up enough to allow the thermostat to open and send coolant to the radiator, the radiator doesn't perform any function at all.