Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

93 Sport Tune - Octane level for regular mode in winter and plenty of snow

Reactions
So I have a 93 octane sport tune tune from ZFG and absolutely love it. Completely takes the ST to such a higher level. I have been running 94 octane as a result.

Snow will be arriving soon, so I will be running in normal mode or slippery mode until April. Do I have to keep running the 94 octane even if will not be in sport mode for 6 months? Or can I go down to 91 again for the winter?

Its bad enough I have to keep turning off the autostart button manually again lol.

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
If it was me I would contact ZFG for piece of mind. They should know better than anyone.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Are you reverting to stock? The autostart/stop should be off in all modes if that's what you requested in your tune.

RobHalo

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
My understanding is that it's fine to run lower octane on a ZFG tune, the knock sensors still make the necessary adjustments. Although personally I think I'd just reflash the stock tune for the winter.

OP
Scyukon
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
Thanks guys.

In my tune request, I just asked for beast mode in sport mode, with the autostart off. So that is what Adam gave me.

So what I’m not sure about is if when I’m in in normal mode, is that the same as stock normal mode? I’m assuming it is, but I just wanted to double check. If it is, l’m likely ok reverting back to 91 octane, and even if it isn’t, like RobHalo says, the knock sensors adjust, or I could reflash to stock for the winter, which is also a solid idea.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
A tune normally affects all modes, but the stock adjustments in the modes still get applied. For example, you should not tow with your performance tune even switching to "tow" mode--you need to flash a tow-specific tune or flash to stock. Sport mode shuts off autostart when stock, so that doesn't require a change. You can ask for it to be off completely though.

OP
Scyukon
Reactions
Thread Starter #7
Thank you - I was not aware of that. I may just reflash to stock then once the snow flies.

Reactions
I drive my F150 tuned year around. What's your concern with driving on a 93 tune during the Winter?

OP
Scyukon
Reactions
Thread Starter #9
I drive super slow in the winter, so don’t need to be burning 94 at 1.65/L when I could be running 91 at 1.30/L.

I think I may just keep the tune on and drive in normal mode on 91. That way I will reap the benefits of Adam’s tuning even in regular mode.

OP
Scyukon
Reactions
Thread Starter #10
Update - I’m addicted to sport mode so just decided to keep going all year round with 94 octane. Whenever the roads get cleared off and are dry, the little dial gets turned to sport and I’m happy all over again!

OP
Scyukon
Reactions
Thread Starter #12
Yes, it does get annoying. But then I just realize how quickly one can burn up an extra $20-30/week on some other trivial items (eg a lunch outing) vs how much fun this thing is in sport mode with a tune, and suddenly it bothers me not in the least.