Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

8inch subwoofer

Sperez

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 explorer st
Trying to replace my factory b&o sub, how many watts is the speaker? And if anyone has replaced the sub, what speaker y’all used?
My stock speaker sounds like ripped plastic just flapping around. I don’t wanna add no sound system at the moment until my kids get older lol

LivNLo94

Reactions
Vehicle
ST
Here is a video on YouTube. If you read the comments, the guy wrote that it wasn’t a huge or noticeable difference in output. I wouldn’t go through all that work to replace the factory 8 inch subwoofer. You are better off adding an aftermarket amp and subwoofer enclosure to add more bass.

OP
S

Sperez

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 explorer st
Thread Starter #3
I will be adding a sound system later on, I have a premature baby at the moment, meanwhile I just wanna get that loose plastic sound away.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Here is a video on YouTube. If you read the comments, the guy wrote that it wasn’t a huge or noticeable difference in output. I wouldn’t go through all that work to replace the factory 8 inch subwoofer. You are better off adding an aftermarket amp and subwoofer enclosure to add more bass.
That guy posted that on here or some other forum. I told him then it wasn’t gonna work and after I saw the video and his use of rtv I realized not only should he not be making bridge but nobody should be listening to him either. The oem enclosure is pretty small and ported. Unless you measure the enclosure, Port length and diameter then hunt down a sub that will work inside of those parameters it’s a recipe for failure.
OP…if you’ve managed to blow the factory sub and don’t plan to spend any money right now…just replace it with another factory sub and go on.

OP
S

Sperez

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 explorer st
Thread Starter #5
That guy posted that on here or some other forum. I told him then it wasn’t gonna work and after I saw the video and his use of rtv I realized not only should he not be making bridge but nobody should be listening to him either. The oem enclosure is pretty small and ported. Unless you measure the enclosure, Port length and diameter then hunt down a sub that will work inside of those parameters it’s a recipe for failure.
OP…if you’ve managed to blow the factory sub and don’t plan to spend any money right now…just replace it with another factory sub and go on.
I’m just trying to replace the blown speaker, I will be adding a system once my son gets a little older since he’s premature. Meanwhile I get to focus on roof wrap and new wheels

OP
S

Sperez

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 explorer st
Thread Starter #6
by any chance would you know what wire is positive and negative?
I saw the video but then also did some research here and the guy from the video says different from what someone said here?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I saw the video but then also did some research here and the guy from the video says different from what someone said here?
I don’t. I replaced everything including wiring.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST Carbonized Gray
Looks like the solid wires are ground and the striped wires are positive, at least on the subwoofer.

Attachments