Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

600 awhp on pump e85! Nostrum Stage 2 injectors are here!

Reactions
Corey Ruzzin Explorer ST putting down a casual 601 awhp on pump E85! This was with the brand new Nostrum High Performance stage 2 24% larger injectors! Flawless performance on the injector side with some room to play!

Performance Mods:
ZFG E85 Tune
Stage 5 CRP Turbos
Nostrum HPFP and stage 2 injectors
NGK Spark Plugs
AFE Intake
CVF Intercooler
SPD Downpipes
Lethal 2.5” midpipe
Borla S Type Catback
FenFab Charge pipe and BOV

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

blythkd

U.S. Marine Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Very nice~ currently running your E50 tune and it is a beast. Can't imagine what full E85 would be like...

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer Platinum
Have we found the failure point of these engines yet? It seems that Kevin got over 700awhp, and I believe Theo is around 650awhp. It seems Jared LaCoste has some engine failure in the built Explorer he purchased. The biggest reason I'm looking at a Predator swap is that I want to push over 700awhp and still maintain some semblance of reliability.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
exciting things!

ghostfranklin

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
@ZFGracing did you back off the fuel delivery/power to save the trans?

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I doubt there is anything left in those turbos at that level.

ghostfranklin

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
@TMac have you seen any numbers for what the stock turbos max out at assuming similar mods as the op?

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
@TMac have you seen any numbers for what the stock turbos max out at assuming similar mods as the op?
You could probably see around 500 WHP on the stock turbos on e85. You'd need the requisite fuel upgrades as well. I can't find it, but I'm pretty sure I saw one at 520.

ghostfranklin

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
@TMac thanks been following your posts on a single turbo not sure I want to go that route due to all the custom fab work. I understand the inefficiencies of the twin turbo offerings on the market right now but thinking about swapping after I can beef up the trans

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
@TMac thanks been following your posts on a single turbo not sure I want to go that route due to all the custom fab work. I understand the inefficiencies of the twin turbo offerings on the market right now but thinking about swapping after I can beef up the trans
If one is worried about custom fabrication work, I understand. But how about thinking about it in purely economic terms, or even in bragging terms?

Let's agree that the cost for a tune and an intercooler are common and required. I can pretty much guarantee if one bought an exhaust, downpipes, upgraded turbos, intake, cold side piping, hot side piping, etc, you would have something that everyone else could buy for that same price and that price would only be few hundred dollars less than what the custom setup I'm writing about will cost.

And as I wrote (more later), the performance possibilities are far beyond any existing turbo upgrades- with the ability to swap in several different turbochargers depending on your needs and better driveline safety. Truly, if I needed the money, and thought it would have marketability other than a handful of individuals, I'd put together a kit!

As far as the transmission: information shows dyno charts from Kruppa's ride over 7k rpm on the stock engine. That opens up a lot of room before I'd look at trans upgrades. For example, if you could sustain the cylinder pressure to produce 500 lb/ft of torque at 7k (which absolutely requires way more turbo than you can bolt on), that would net over 667 crank HP (around 600 WHP). Those numbers are less than other dynos I've seen showing that much torque through the 10R60 even though it's only rated around 442 lb/ft. Remember average cylinder pressure is torque- the higher RPM we can sustain that torque the more HP. The other thing to understand is that it's less stressful on a mechanism to support 500 lb/ft of torque at 6000 rpm than at 3000 rpm.

Last edited:
OP
ZFGracing
Reactions
Thread Starter #11
@ZFGracing did you back off the fuel delivery/power to save the trans?
A little bit but this trans is slatted for getting built anyway.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

ghostfranklin

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
@TMac I really like the responsiveness of the current set up. It would be nice to squeeze out some more power to play with occasionally but other than that I like how “streetable” my setup is. It reminds me of a twin screw v8 but it just doesn’t stop pulling. I think should have got with you or made that decision earlier if I was going to go the single route. Agreed on the trans I would rather beef it up just to safe and avoid even the remote possibility of getting stuck some where after a hard pull or 2 or 10 lol

Reactions
Wouldn't full 3" piping from the turbos back make a little more power with those turbos?

Reactions
Why do all the really fast vehicles in the world run open header/downpipe? The Honda K guys dump the exhaust right out of the hood during their 9 second passes. Has anyone tested temperature and flow on the ST using different size length and width exhaust pipes?

Reactions
Have we found the failure point of these engines yet? It seems that Kevin got over 700awhp, and I believe Theo is around 650awhp. It seems Jared LaCoste has some engine failure in the built Explorer he purchased. The biggest reason I'm looking at a Predator swap is that I want to push over 700awhp and still maintain some semblance of reliability.
Following

ghostfranklin

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
@TMac what kind of work do you do/background? Are you a mechanical engineer? I ask because I'm often googling parts of your responses, I can tell your not the "average" car enthusiast

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Degrees in both Mech Engineering and Computer Science. Came from a "hot-rodding" family and worked my way through college by restoring (read fixing-up) old cars. Started out in engineering and started writing code for mechanical simulations.

Became more interested in the computer side and was offered employment to build financial software for performance measurement and trading systems on Wall St. Did that for many years as well, burned out and then started doing consulting in engineering again.

Spent five years as lead engineer to build a 1000cc "range extender" ICE with an emphasis on BSFC. Now I'm semi-retired and as you can tell from the number of posts, a bit bored, but hope that my posts are helpful and informative!

Last edited: