Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

400 HP option for 2022 Kings Ranch and Platinums

dave byers

Reactions
I am about to pull the trigger on a 2022 ST... and see one various sites that Ford is offering the 400 HP option for both the Kings Ranch and Platinum. Seems to me that takes away some of the allure of the ST badge. I am tempted to hold off now because the last thing I want to do is buy the 400 HP in 2022.. and then see Ford offer a 450+ next year. Seems like an ill thought idea by Ford. Comments??

Reactions
The ST is still the "Sports" model, has a higher final gear ratio, tuned suspension, sportier seats and steering wheel and better brake options. Dont see why higher trims shouldnt come with the same HP, should've been that way since the beginning.

Highly doubt the following model will come with more power, Ford would need to change the tranny or beef it up for warranty/reliability purposes. Pretty sure they would never go that route and would prefer selling a tune separately.

OP
D

dave byers

Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Some good points..thank you

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I heard they are working on a tune that will come out in 2022.

OP
D

dave byers

Reactions
Thread Starter #5
is this something that can be used to modify and existing 2022 that comes with the 400 HP engine?

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
:rolleyes: I think most of us have adopted the mindset of "we'll believe it when we see it", most would like to see Ford do this.

Heck, they'd probably be breaking diffs. ;)

Reactions
Soon that will change to 2023 :LOL:

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Anyone still talking about a possible FP tune for this car has obviously never talked to someone who got the "awesome" FP tune for a Coyote Mustang (they pinged more than a table-tennis match) or read the 1323899231782432 threads on this forum and Facebook talking about currently available, non-vaporware ZFG tunes.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
You can get a great tune from zfg- they even do the transmission maps. However, some Ford owners are worried about their warranties and since a Ford tune won't jeopardize that, I can understand them wishing for a Ford alternative.

Reactions
So we just bought our ST. We had the choice between a new 2021 ST, a new 2021 King Ranch, and a used 2021 Plati. Since Ford has stopped using actual King Ranch leather, it diminishes it in my eyes, nothing special about it other than the different colored leather. For me, the Plati and the KR were boring. The ST caught my eye. And no offense to any grand parents on here, but that's what they looked like to us, GP vehicles. If Ford had gone back to using the good leather, it would have been a harder choice.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
You can get a great tune from zfg- they even do the transmission maps. However, some Ford owners are worried about their warranties and since a Ford tune won't jeopardize that, I can understand them wishing for a Ford alternative.
I'd look at the available data: how many people have had blown engines or warranty issues due to their tune from ZFG vs how many people complained about pinging (not great for the motor) and general crappiness of the FP tune on their Coyote Mustang or any other car their turd tune was available for.

Reactions
So we just bought our ST. We had the choice between a new 2021 ST, a new 2021 King Ranch, and a used 2021 Plati. Since Ford has stopped using actual King Ranch leather, it diminishes it in my eyes, nothing special about it other than the different colored leather. For me, the Plati and the KR were boring. The ST caught my eye. And no offense to any grand parents on here, but that's what they looked like to us, GP vehicles. If Ford had gone back to using the good leather, it would have been a harder choice.
LOL im only 32 and grabbed the Platinum. I went for the cheaper better deal overall. Fully loaded for 50k~. I actually prefer the more comfortable seats on the Platinum and leather stitched dashboard. ST tho had the much better looking interior.