Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

305/40/22 Anybody Rubbing?

HOODED DON

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
W'sup guys! Need tires for my new wheels 22x10.5 +30. Would like to know how many members running the 40 opposed to the 35 sidewall and if any rubbing issues. Also will be lowered on steedas. Thanks guys.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST Carbonized Gray
No problem with rubbing and I'm sitting on H&R springs, just make sure your aligment is properly set.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Some do…some don’t. Some tires run wide…some run narrow. There’s minor variances in the way cars go together. Kinda crappy but you won’t know until you do it.

Reactions
Vehicle
Some do…some don’t. Some tires run wide…some run narrow. There’s minor variances in the way cars go together. Kinda crappy but you won’t know until you do it.
Yeah, when I first had the tires installed I didn't the rear camber set and they did rub for a few miles. But after the alignment was set no more issues, maybe during u-turns but I haven't checked yet.

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Case in point. 22x10.5 wheels, steeda springs, perfect alignment. My passenger side barely rubs the fenderwell at full left hand lock, but my driver's side clears at full right hand lock.

OP
H

HOODED DON

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Thread Starter #6
Yeah, when I first had the tires installed I didn't the rear camber set and they did rub for a few miles. But after the alignment was set no more issues, maybe during u-turns but I haven't checked yet.

OP
H

HOODED DON

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Thread Starter #7
Okay any specific alignment specs for running 305 40 22 tires? Instead of the toyos I may go cheapo lexani as I'm sure their tires are more narrow.

Reactions
Vehicle
Okay any specific alignment specs for running 305 40 22 tires? Instead of the toyos I may go cheapo lexani as I'm sure their tires are more narrow.
Factory specs are good.

Toadster

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
'23 ExST, '17 Raptor, '16 FoST, FFR Cobra
What's up, I got 305 40 22 tires and 22x10.5 wheel with a +30 offset and mine rubs on stock height.
everything made in Taiwan is a little tight ;)

Toadster

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
'23 ExST, '17 Raptor, '16 FoST, FFR Cobra
gotta look at section width for tires, not every 305 is the same size across...

MICHELIN® DEFENDER® LTX® M/S 305/40R22 114H XL BSW
Section Width on Measuring Rim Width
12.0" on 11.0"

LIONHEART LH-TEN 305/40R22 LHST102240010
12.3" on 11.0"

MICHELIN® PILOT® SUPER SPORT 305/30ZR22 (105Y) XL BSW
Section Width on Measuring Rim Width
12.0" on 11.0"

Last edited:

Mr.Clark

Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer EcoBoost
...bump.. can someone post pics of this setup? I'm also interested in getting 22x10.5 on 305/40/22. WIll this rub and what is the offset? not really familiar with how that works. I apologize If I'm doubling down on the question. Thanks in advance

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Hey @Mr.Clark ... so this question has been answered a bunch, but here you go. The below are pics of a +30mm offset setup. It DOES rub, just barely with Toyo Proxes ST III tires. After 25k miles on this wheel/tire setup, I am just starting to rub a little hole through the felt fender liner. It only rubs at full lock and only rubs on the passenger side--so tire clearance is going to be obviously very variable. I have purchased a replacement liner and will swap it out once I think it needs to be. The outer part of the tire is what rubs, but you CANNOT reduce offset to pull the wheel closer inwards as then the tire will rub against the shock strut tower. I can literally only slip a piece of cardboard between the tire and the spring perch. Would I repeat this setup again? 100% yes. 315/35r22 tire pricing is full blown stupid and i like the look of a more filled out wheel well.

IMG_2361.png
IMG_2362.png
IMG_2363.png
IMG_2364.png

Mr.Clark

Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer EcoBoost
Much appreciated! I purchased the Hankook 305/40/22 and 22x10.5 Vossen hf-5 along with the springs.. they get installed in a couple of weeks and I saw a few posts online with this setup and I love the look! But I failed to think of mods or rubbing since I was like a kid in a candy store.

In any case I appreciate the feedback I think I'll be okay with little rub only when in full turn which doesn't happen everyday.

OP
H

HOODED DON

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Thread Starter #14
So I mounted the Toyos 305 40 22 on 22x10.5 +30 wheels and let me tell ya IT IS CLOSE but no rubbing. Now time for springs. Steeda or H&R? Thanks to all the members who advised.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ford explorer st
Does anyone here have any pics of their explorers with 22in rims on here without lowering springs. I'm just trying to see how big of a gap is in play with the 22in rims with stock springs? Or you can tell me how much of a gap there is. I plan on using 305/40/22 tires. Thank you!