Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

3.0l piston tech

Reactions
The ST 3.0l has a surprisingly nice piston. Here are some comparison to the 2.7l truck piston. The biggest stand out difference is the addition of a piston cooling gallery, which is very common in a diesel piston and is also used in the 3.5l ho (raptor and limited) piston. This allows oil to be sprayed up into the piston which allows for a huge improvement in cooling. The skirt is also much larger and there is more martial underneath the wrist pin, which is good because on the 2.7l one of know failure modes is the pin bore, from fatigue. Now time to send these off ;)

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Reactions
Good stuff. The 3.0L is definitely a step up from the 2.7L (which is no slouch), and Ford undoubtedly made some worthwhile upgrades to the pistons to handle additional boost. Curious also as to the weight difference as well.

When I built the new aluminum-block custom engine for my '03 Cobra a few years back, I went with a company called Gibtec and was the launch customer for their "Mod Motor" piston that has become quite successful. Same type of upgrades compared to the factory piston as well: better oiling, beefed up thrust face, more material where it counts, etc.

Some comparison pictures of those as well to show where improvements can be made (OE on the left):

P1.jpg

P2.jpg

P3.jpg

P4.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions
Great pics as always, thanks for sharing! Looking forward to the build. You aiming for over 6-700 at the wheels?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Reactions
The ST 3.0l has a surprisingly nice piston. Here are some comparison to the 2.7l truck piston. The biggest stand out difference is the addition of a piston cooling gallery, which is very common in a diesel piston and is also used in the 3.5l ho (raptor and limited) piston. This allows oil to be sprayed up into the piston which allows for a huge improvement in cooling. The skirt is also much larger and there is more martial underneath the wrist pin, which is good because on the 2.7l one of know failure modes is the pin bore, from fatigue. Now time to send these off ;)

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Good information
Great that they use steel ring lands
Years ago I installed turbo's on propane fueled engines
At the high boost levels the high octane propane would allow, they often broke the ring lands between the top & second rings
Had to replace them with forged pistons with larger cross section second ring lands [thankyou]