Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

2wd ST

ARC

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST Black
Hello,

Just curious, anyone on here have a 2wd ST?

Just wondering if there is any difference in performance and or handling?

Reactions
I have a 2022 RWD, picked it up last March and am loving it! I live in NC and we get very little winter weather so I wasn’t worried about that. I think the handling is great, and I have not run into a situation where I’ve felt traction limited. Full disclosure, I’m not launching it hard very often but there are plenty of spirited runs.

I got to drive an AWD one at the ST SUV experience and I can’t say I felt a difference in handling. They say the AWD system enhances the handling so maybe closer to the limits I’d notice? I would have loved to have driven both back to back on the autocross for comparison.

Hope that helps, if I can answer any other questions let me know.

Kainsel

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
I have a 2022 RWD, picked it up last March and am loving it! I live in NC and we get very little winter weather so I wasn’t worried about that. I think the handling is great, and I have not run into a situation where I’ve felt traction limited. Full disclosure, I’m not launching it hard very often but there are plenty of spirited runs.

I got to drive an AWD one at the ST SUV experience and I can’t say I felt a difference in handling. They say the AWD system enhances the handling so maybe closer to the limits I’d notice? I would have loved to have driven both back to back on the autocross for comparison.

Hope that helps, if I can answer any other questions let me know.
Does the RWD come with traction control / limited slip rear axle?

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
No LSD on the rear. That's a big downside to the RWD. However, it does use the ABS to intervene so it's not so noticeable, but without the LSD it's never going to be able to dig as well as the AWD.

Kainsel

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
No LSD on the rear. That's a big downside to the RWD. However, it does use the ABS to intervene so it's not so noticeable, but without the LSD it's never going to be able to dig as well as the AWD.
Thanks, would think that the lighter weight of RWD should improve steering response and fuel economy. Have looked at dozens of ST window stickers and never seen a RWD equipped vehicle.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I have posted before about the RWD ST version. Here is a thread on the subject with various opinions.