Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

24 inch Wheels and Tires - Thoughts?

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Hi All,
I'd like to get some feedback on the ride quality of 24 inch wheels and the overall impact to the overall driving experience. These are the wheels and tires I'm considering.
Savani 24x10. I'm still trying to nail down the offset I would need. I'm thinking 35 to 40. I've got the steeda lowering springs. If anyone has some thoughts let me know.
Tire size 235-25R x 24 2020STweb00.jpg

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
They’ll ride rough and feel like you pulled 80hp out of it…no way around that. And I hope you wrote the wrong tire size. A 235 isn’t right.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
I noticed a difference going from 255/55/20's to 285/40/22's. I can only imagine how bad the weight penalty would be going to 24's

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I think they look great! Not a route I would go due to the increased weight, but they do look sharp!

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Definitely look good! I think my 22’s are firm enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Definitely look good! I think my 22’s are firm enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah I agree. I went from a soft sidewall 255 A/S tire, to a 285 summer only tire and also have bora wheel spacers. The difference was night and day in the way the ST responds to steering input. It was like going from a 75 Lincoln to a Porsche 911. I would say it's handling is comparable or maybe better than my 5.0 mustang.

20220420_152445.jpg

Reactions
24x10 +25 to +30 would be a good offset to aim for.

I'm running 285/35/24's and the ride is only slightly firmer than stock. No issue there and ZERO Rubbing.

OP
T
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #8
24x10 +25 to +30 would be a good offset to aim for.

I'm running 285/35/24's and the ride is only slightly firmer than stock. No issue there and ZERO Rubbing.
Thank you for the feedback. Can you feel the impact to performance? Straighline speed?

OP
T
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #9
They’ll ride rough and feel like you pulled 80hp out of it…no way around that. And I hope you wrote the wrong tire size. A 235 isn’t right.
I did Unbroken. Sorry I fat fingered that. 285 is what it should have said.
I was hoping going forged and lighter might help make the performance impact no so bad. I think I'll stick to 22s. The 24 look great but rough rife and decreased performance seems very counter productive. The springs already impacted the ride a bit. I don't really want to take much more away from being a comfortable daily driver.

LocoLobo

Reactions
Hey Tryinhard, what was the final verdict? Did you go with the 24s and how was the acceleration impacted? Curious just how much power loss will be noticed.

blackdog

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
A larger rim and tire size doesn't usually equate to a softer ride. A softer ride is determined by the side wall and tread thickness and ability to flex. With that being said you need to realize that a larger wheel/tire dimension / diameter/radius will require additional torque to turn. That's not saying that your ST doesn'y have that torque, what it says is that the larger diameter wheel tire combo will and does produce additional wear and tear on the drivetrain. Smaller tires will produce faster speeds off the line, but a lower top end. Being that the ST top end exceeds any top end you will ever meet or exceed you would actually be better off reducing the wheel diameter and running a taller tire.