Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

2023 Explorer ST Exhaust stutters on Startup

Xalm

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
Hello, My ST exhaust pops and stutters a bit on startup, doesn't seem to affect performance at all, and can rev it a bit and seems to clear up quickly. But it is not smooth sounding at all. I have a FP Tune on it and a 3" Thermal R&D. Any ideas on the cause? thought about slapping the stock exhaust on it to see if it goes away, but wanted some opinions before i tackled that process.

Peteroo

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 ST
mine has a bit of a "miss" or stumble while idleing fwiw. stock 23

Blue Beast

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Hello, My ST exhaust pops and stutters a bit on startup, doesn't seem to affect performance at all, and can rev it a bit and seems to clear up quickly. But it is not smooth sounding at all. I have a FP Tune on it and a 3" Thermal R&D. Any ideas on the cause? thought about slapping the stock exhaust on it to see if it goes away, but wanted some opinions before i tackled that process.
Welcome to the forum.

Reactions
Vehicle
Explorer ST
Mine does the same as well, though only noticed it when I put my Thermal on. I assume it's always done that and the stock exhaust hides it. Goes away in less than a minute.

Reactions
Stock 2020, has been doing it all along. Only seems to do it on a cold start. Goes away in a short time.

I run 87 octane, not sure if it’s possibly adjusting ignition timing to compensate for the lower octane. 120,000km and no problems so far.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ford explorer st
I have a thermal 3 inch as well. I've noticed it on all my starts. It's Will sound quite and then pop and goes away. Sometimes it sounds louder on one side. Once it warms up after like 30 seconds and quotes down I don't notice it.

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
That is normal for a cold start as long as it goes away once it idles down.

Explorer ST Posts