Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

2022 Plumbing change?

VUDU350

Reactions
Curious if anyone has tried to install an aftermarket BOV on a 2022? I’m no expert by any means so forgive my ignorance, but it appears the factory BOV is in a different location unless my extremely old eyes just can’t see it, which is highly possible.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
It was deleted entirely sometime around Nov build dates.

OP
VUDU350

VUDU350

Reactions
Thread Starter #3
It was deleted entirely sometime around Nov build dates.
Thanks, makes total since. Is there another option? I know you’re extremely knowledgeable as I’ve followed a lot of your post.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
FenFab has a cold side IC pipe option with a few options for BOV’s that works perfectly with the newer models.

OP
VUDU350

VUDU350

Reactions
Thread Starter #5
Thanks! I did see that. Powder coated red, black and or blue I think. Know of any other changes by chance? Having intercooler, springs and sway bar installed Monday.

ARC

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST Black
What was the purpose of Ford deleting the BOV?

Reactions
Aug/21 build here and No BOV

agrant61

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST Stone Blue
Hello, has anyone installed a Momentum GT Cold Air Intake on your 2022 Explorer ST?

Looking at the install diagram Figure N Fitting 34 is used for the quick release connectors from the wastegate. Additionally referring to Figure Q for Step 40-42 Installing the quick release connectors from the wastegate solenoid. With no BOV on my 2022, can an NTP plug be installed in that location allowing this CAI to work on a 2022 ST

I will update my profile soon. 4 days ago, I bought a 2022 stone Blue Explorer ST. Yes, no roof racks!! I'm presently in a collection mode and have purchased many upgrade parts. I bought my Borla s before the big price increase

Thanks for any technical help
Art Grant

Attachments

Reactions
Hello, has anyone installed a Momentum GT Cold Air Intake on your 2022 Explorer ST?

Looking at the install diagram Figure N Fitting 34 is used for the quick release connectors from the wastegate. Additionally referring to Figure Q for Step 40-42 Installing the quick release connectors from the wastegate solenoid. With no BOV on my 2022, can an NTP plug be installed in that location allowing this CAI to work on a 2022 ST

I will update my profile soon. 4 days ago, I bought a 2022 stone Blue Explorer ST. Yes, no roof racks!! I'm presently in a collection mode and have purchased many upgrade parts. I bought my Borla s before the big price increase

Thanks for any technical help
Art Grant
I was planning on installing the intake this Friday; honestly I didn’t even consider that it may not fit on my 2022. I ordered from Whoosh and it’s listed as “2020+” on their product page. I’m curious if anyone else has attempted it…

Edit: I just ran out and checked; at first glance I have the same three connections on my driver’s side intake tube as shown in the instructions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

agrant61

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
Very interesting. Thanks, you for taking you time to give me a visual look at your 2022. Please do let me know how your install goes. I ordered my Momentum GT Cold Air Intake. I did ask the Woosh site, and they said a cap was included. I asked further about the cap and was linked to a BOV cap?? I ordered mine CIA from ZGF along with their tune. Borla S will be here in 2 days. Whipple IC ordered, 2 weeks out. Your pictures really answered all my questions. I was scratching my head because this CAI just hit the streets in January.

Thanks again and please keep me posted.

Art

Reactions
Very interesting. Thanks, you for taking you time to give me a visual look at your 2022. Please do let me know how your install goes. I ordered my Momentum GT Cold Air Intake. I did ask the Woosh site, and they said a cap was included. I asked further about the cap and was linked to a BOV cap?? I ordered mine CIA from ZGF along with their tune. Borla S will be here in 2 days. Whipple IC ordered, 2 weeks out. Your pictures really answered all my questions. I was scratching my head because this CAI just hit the streets in January.

Thanks again and please keep me posted.

Art
I think we should be more concerned with the bypass valve connection at the bottom of the drivers side tube (11 below, not the upper connections your post originally cited).

I don’t see any additional caps included in the kit. What cap were you linked to?

Edit: Now the post linked below makes sense

https://www.explorerst.org/threads/afe-momentum-gt-cai.3062/page-7#post-41639

Edit 2: I’ll probably just clamp something like this on the aFe bung and be done with it:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Scotch-Sco...VhbzICh1G5AE4EAQYAiABEgKlYvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Edit 3: Ordered this from Ron at Whoosh. Thanks for the quick reply to my email, Ron!

https://whooshmotorsports.com/colle...whoosh-vta-mod-2020-explorer-st-free-shipping

Slapped this chair tip on it for a temporary fix until the Whoosh silicone cap arrives lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

agrant61

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
This is what I got from Ron

Yes we have the caps listed on the site
It says VTA mod but it’s the same cap/same size and purpose
https://whooshmotorsports.com/colle...whoosh-vta-mod-2020-explorer-st-free-shipping

When I said I bought a 2022 Explorer ST, I should of said build so it's months away. I'm just gather necessary performance parts before the prices go up. I'm in sponge mode so I was curious the aFe CIA was not listed for the 2022. You're pretty much my install trainer. I appreciate you taking you time.

This is interesting from liked post.

" IGV insert in the pass side pipe, which was easily removed and reinstalled. On the driver side, the IGV vanes are built into the charge pipe. Just left it out, no issues."

I wonder what's the function of those blades at high boost?

Thanks for the bung link.

BlackBetty

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
22 Explorer ST Agate black
FenFab has a cold side IC pipe option with a few options for BOV’s that works perfectly with the newer models.
New 22 st owner here, along with that I have a newbie question. I ordered the turbo smart dual port as a replacement for the factory bov prior to taking delivery of the vehicle. From reading previous post's it appears the fenfab cold side charge pipe with the factory/ factory turbosmart replacement bov would still be applicable. I have only poked around under the hood long enough to confirm from other pictures posted that I do not have the factory bov/ bypass valve. This leads to my question, without the factory valve to replace where would the electronic connection take place for the replacement part? If there is already a post covering this question I apologize for the duplication of effort. Thank you.