Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

2022 Ford Explorer ST Recommended Upgrades 1

mhanback

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Curious of your opinions.

What is the best after market exhaust for this truck (quality, performance, sound and price). The 170 S52053CF
MBRP Explorer ST Pro Series Cat-back Exhaust, the Borla, Corsa or Thermal R&D? Not looking for it to sound annoying. The Borla seems to be a better fit in the rear muffler area then the MBRP but aside from that I'm just not sure? All sound similar and good.

The upgrade plan is: the exhaust, a Whipple Mega Cooler Explorer 3.0L ST Stage 1 Package (2020-2022), Steeda front/rear springs, Steeda rear sway bar and the UPR catch can, a UPR clean side separator and blow off value.

Thank you for your opinion, experiences.

Mitch

Last edited:

Toyman

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
I can only speak to the Thermal R&D Exhaust. I put one on my 2021 ST and the sound is what I was looking for. When my 2022 arrived, I had the dealer swap it out. I think the sound is better (more growly) on the 2022. I don’t think they made any mods to the engine that would change the sound. It could be due to the system is somehow just now breaking in.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST

What is the best after market exhaust for this truck (quality, performance, sound and price). The 170 S52053CF
MBRP Explorer ST Pro Series Cat-back Exhaust, the Borla, Corsa or Thermal R&D? Not looking for it to sound annoying. The Borla seems to be a better fit in the rear muffler area then the MBRP but aside from that I'm just not sure? All sound similar and good.

The upgrade plan is: the exhaust, a Whipple Mega Cooler Explorer 3.0L ST Stage 1 Package (2020-2022), Steeda front/rear springs, Steeda rear sway bar and the UPR catch can, a UPR clean side separator and blow off value.

Mitch
Get the Whipple IC first, then a ZFG Tune. The rest of the order is up to you.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
If you go with an exhaust, definitely take the MBRP one off your list. There’s a lot of drone around 2k-2.5k. I got one and I had to get the X-pipe swapped out for a muffler from a local exhaust shop. Save yourself a lot of headache and just get the full Thermal set-up. I’m contemplating buying the thermal and scrapping everything from the MBRP set up. They use an X-Pipe and in the rear they use canister style mufflers. Update: yup definitely gonna scrap it, lol on the way home from picking up the kids from school some rattling began.

Last edited:

MIB

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST

Mitch
what did you go with for exhaust and how does it sound?