Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

2021 tire chains

VooVoo

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Morning all!
We live in WA state and most of the passes require drivers to carry chains Nov thru March.
We have the 255/55 20 tires but I can't find any viable info for good chains for it.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Morning all!
We live in WA state and most of the passes require drivers to carry chains Nov thru March.
We have the 255/55 20 tires but I can't find any viable info for good chains for it.
Thanks
Went through same problem with ‘17 Explorer (front/4 wheel drive). I carried a box of cable chains & they were still in box when I traded for ‘22 Expl ST. Now what to do about these goofy 21 inch tires on the ‘22?

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Went through same problem with ‘17 Explorer (front/4 wheel drive). I carried a box of cable chains & they were still in box when I traded for ‘22 Expl ST. Now what to do about these goofy 21 inch tires on the ‘22?
I'm having a terrible time finding chains/cables that list the 275/45-R21 tires on my '22 ST. wanted to carry some in the vehicle as we travel about in winter.

Has anyone had any luck finding chains or cables that will fit our tires?

Reactions
I have checked around and couldn't find any information either. When I asked the dealer they said with the close tolerance between the tire and the inner wheel well, they didn't recommend anything. They also proceeded to tell me about a costumer that tried some cables and they came loose. I forgot whether it was the passenger or driver front tire area, it hit an expensive wiring loom causing some 6k in damages. I live near mountain ranges requiring chains/cables as well

Reactions
Are studded winter tires an option instead of tire chains. We use them in northern Ontario for about five months of the year. They are a little noisy (tick, tick, tick) but would be much safer than tire chains/cables and you can travel at full freeway speeds, unlike with tire chains.

traxiii

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I'm having a terrible time finding chains/cables that list the 275/45-R21 tires on my '22 ST. wanted to carry some in the vehicle as we travel about in winter.

Has anyone had any luck finding chains or cables that will fit our tires?
Try these Z-cable chains: https://peerlesschain.com/products/super-z6#19552 You can normally get them on Amazon or at auto parts stores, might have to special order.

traxiii

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Morning all!
Thanks
Peerless Z-Chains are awesome and available to fit 255/55/20, see link: https://peerlesschain.com/products/super-z6#19552 available at Amazon or they have a vendor list on their website. I used the same style on my Edge, they work great, plus easy on and off.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 XLT
Is your rig 4wd? Here in the Sierras we can get away with 4wd and M/S rated up thru R-2 status, no chains required. So much better than dealing with the best of chains. A bit higher cost but it goes with the territory. WDOT have similar?

Explorer ST Posts