Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

2021 ST Speaker Upgrade

JPrzech

Reactions
Vehicle
Explorer ST
Hi all,

I've had my 2021 ST for about six weeks and while I love driving it, I'd love driving it more if the sound was better. The stock speakers, even with the "Premium Sound Package," don't put out much volume before they start getting 'farty' and distorting. Has anyone found a good solution to this, either within the settings or via an upgrade? For context, I kept the bass level at even, turned the mids down 2 clicks and the treble up 2 clicks. Thanks in advance.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Stereo…not surround.
Treble up all but one
Midrange up 3
Bass even to +1
Fade to the front.

That’s the best looking RTA I could get when I measured mine.
Proper sound deadening treatments make more of a difference than swapping speakers. It’s labor intensive but the results are worth it.

OP
JPrzech

JPrzech

Reactions
Vehicle
Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
What sort of sound deadening treatments? I'm not familiar.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
If you love bass, a powered sub is key. Without getting into full replacement of the system entirely, I recommend replacing the 3" and 6x9" drivers--can play reasonably loud (I usually max out at volume level of 12) while increasing sound quality significantly over stock. Also do some sound insulation to the doors and spare tire area. Set the sound to full fade forward and stereo mode. Here is what I did:

https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/threads/budget-b-o-front-door-upgrade.497898/

OP
JPrzech

JPrzech

Reactions
Vehicle
Explorer ST
Thread Starter #5
If you love bass, a powered sub is key. Without getting into full replacement of the system entirely, I recommend replacing the 3" and 6x9" drivers--can play reasonably loud (I usually max out at volume level of 12) while increasing sound quality significantly over stock. Also do some sound insulation to the doors and spare tire area. Set the sound to full fade forward and stereo mode. Here is what I did:

https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/threads/budget-b-o-front-door-upgrade.497898/
Thanks for all the input. It's not so much that I love bass, but rather, in the words of Kiss, I love it loud!

Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer ST PHEV MY22
Stereo…not surround.
Treble up all but one
Midrange up 3
Bass even to +1
Fade to the front.

Proper sound deadening treatments make more of a difference than swapping speakers. It’s labor intensive but the results are worth it.
How much fade to the front do you suggest?

Trying your settings now :) i used to have treble up 2 or points, mid down 1 and bass up 1

JMarr

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Stereo…not surround.
Treble up all but one
Midrange up 3
Bass even to +1
Fade to the front.

This helps quite a bit. Not bad now.
What type of treatments did you do?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
This helps quite a bit. Not bad now.
What type of treatments did you do?
Pretty much everything that can be done as far as deadening but I’ve also replaced the entire audio system. I have build logs here for the deadening and also the audio install.