Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

2021 Ford Explorer ST To Get Subtle Updates, Production Starts September

Reactions
This is great.. now that Ford is buying back my '20 ST, I think I'll wait for the '21s.
Hello, I'm new to the Forum. Would you mind sharing a bit of what happpend or what lead to that? Thanks in advance!

Reactions
Hello, I'm new to the Forum. Would you mind sharing a bit of what happpend or what lead to that? Thanks in advance!
The first day I brought my ST home, I got a Powertrain Malfunction. I brought it back to dealership and they didn't know what was wrong, but they reset the code, and sent the info to Ford engineers. A couple days later, I got the same Powertrain Malfunction, and brought it back to the dealership. They gave me a rental, and said they would work on the problem. A couple weeks go by, and they initially said they couldn't find anything wrong, and waiting to hear back from Ford engineers. Talked to service manager, who said he would give a test drive and if he couldn't reproduce the fault, they'd give it back while waiting to hear from Ford. He was able to reproduce the fault and said I needed a new transmission. Fast forward a couple weeks, and they tell me they're still waiting on Ford to ship the new transmission.
About a month goes by, and they're still waiting on the trans, and have no idea how long it will take. So, considering the dealership had my car for almost 6 weeks, and had no idea when I'd get it back, I decided to start the process of Ford buying back my ST. 3 weeks later, Ford denies my request. I talk to the service manager, who tells me Ford finally shipped the trans, but it was defective out of the box, and they are going to appeal Ford's decision on my behalf. The next day Ford calls me and now are approving the buyback. Now, I'm in the middle of the process, Ford has all the documentation they need, and they tell me it will take 3 to 4 weeks to complete the process.

And that's where I'm at right now. About 1 week into the 3 to 4 week process.
I'm planning on waiting until the 2021 because we are so close to the new model year, and I'm leasing, I'd rather have a new model year, then the end of a model year.

Reactions
The first day I brought my ST home, I got a Powertrain Malfunction. I brought it back to dealership and they didn't know what was wrong, but they reset the code, and sent the info to Ford engineers. A couple days later, I got the same Powertrain Malfunction, and brought it back to the dealership. They gave me a rental, and said they would work on the problem. A couple weeks go by, and they initially said they couldn't find anything wrong, and waiting to hear back from Ford engineers. Talked to service manager, who said he would give a test drive and if he couldn't reproduce the fault, they'd give it back while waiting to hear from Ford. He was able to reproduce the fault and said I needed a new transmission. Fast forward a couple weeks, and they tell me they're still waiting on Ford to ship the new transmission.
About a month goes by, and they're still waiting on the trans, and have no idea how long it will take. So, considering the dealership had my car for almost 6 weeks, and had no idea when I'd get it back, I decided to start the process of Ford buying back my ST. 3 weeks later, Ford denies my request. I talk to the service manager, who tells me Ford finally shipped the trans, but it was defective out of the box, and they are going to appeal Ford's decision on my behalf. The next day Ford calls me and now are approving the buyback. Now, I'm in the middle of the process, Ford has all the documentation they need, and they tell me it will take 3 to 4 weeks to complete the process.

And that's where I'm at right now. About 1 week into the 3 to 4 week process.
I'm planning on waiting until the 2021 because we are so close to the new model year, and I'm leasing, I'd rather have a new model year, then the end of a model year.
Wow, Glad they finally "approved you". I would definitely wait as well to get a 2021. That is a long time to be without your own car though. But I guess as long as they are paying for that rental, it's not so bad waiting.
What issue was your powertrain having?

I would have liked to wait to buy a 2021, as I don't like to purchase the 1st year of anything. But our old 13 Flex kept having issues here and there, we had already put 2 grand in to it, all in the span of less than a year. So we decided to look Around and ended up with this ST.
Thanks for sharing your story!

Reactions
I have no idea the exact problem was, I just got powertrain malfunction/reduced power, was the exact notification I would get from FordPass...

Dave G ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I have never leased a vehicle before, but I thought the lease would be through Ford and in this situation they would just cancel your lease, reimbursing you for any down payment, and letting you move on.