Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

2021 Ford Explorer gets price cut, Explorer ST kicking off at $53,850, saving $2,135 compared to 2020

Reactions
The XLT trim and its returning Sport Appearance Package hop into four-figure savings, starting at $34,245 next year — a $2,925 drop compared to this year. The Explorer Limited will be $3,670 less expensive, starting at $45,955.

The base, XLT, and Limited deliver the same savings in rear- and all-wheel drive. The hybrid Limited HEV rear-wheel drive lops $2,675 off the price for next year, opening the bidding at $51,100. Go for AWD and the cutback climbs to $2,870, to an MSRP of $53,100. The remaining trims only come in AWD — the Explorer ST kicking off at $53,850, saving $2,135 compared to 2020, the 2021 Explorer Platinum charging $55,275, saving $3,770.

On the options list, there's another hefty discount on Equipment Group 202A that bundles LED fog lamps, ActiveX seating surfaces, an eight-way adjustable passenger's seat, and remote start. Instead of costing $4,140 as now, buyers will pay just $3,540.

These new prices are the biggest change for 2021 that we know of so far, the others being more colors added to the exterior palette and slight changes to the ST cabin. Ford Authority has caught prototypes of what it believes is an off-road-oriented model, perhaps an FX4 trim that will join the Explorer lineup. The 2021 crossover is scheduled to enter production September 21 at Ford's Chicago Assembly Plant.

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/08/11/2021-ford-explorer-price-cuts/

STarwhite

Reactions
This kinda bites looks like all of us with 2020 STs will end up with them being artificially devalued by the price cuts.

Reactions
Well this sucks . Sounds like Ford is basically saying "screw you" to the first round buyers .

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I think many 2020 owners got a substantial discount with rebates and all. Nobody was paying close to MSRP. I think Ford really didn't do their homework when it came to assessing the competition. It looked bad when a fully loaded ST rang up $10k more than a fully loaded any other 3rd row SUV. But in reality, a car like the Telluride was selling like hot cakes at MSRP, while the ST was selling some $5k or more below MSRP. Bottom line is that Ford thought they could score a huge profit on every Explorer sold but it was a little overpriced when it came to market.

Reactions
What 3rd row SUV are you comparing it to ?

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Telluride, Pallisade, Ascent, Atlas... standard mill 3 row SUVs. Sure you can argue the ST trounces the competition in power but we lag in other areas like interior quality.

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
I think many 2020 owners got a substantial discount with rebates and all. Nobody was paying close to MSRP. I think Ford really didn't do their homework when it came to assessing the competition. It looked bad when a fully loaded ST rang up $10k more than a fully loaded any other 3rd row SUV. But in reality, a car like the Telluride was selling like hot cakes at MSRP, while the ST was selling some $5k or more below MSRP. Bottom line is that Ford thought they could score a huge profit on every Explorer sold but it was a little overpriced when it came to market.
i will echo this assessment. between the on-hood rebates from Ford, the 0% financing, and the desparate dealers during the height of COVID, i still feel like i stole my ST even compared to the revised pricing.

Reactions
Telluride, Palisade, Ascent, Atlas... standard mill 3 row SUVs. Sure you can argue the ST trounces the competition in power but we lag in other areas like interior quality.
I test drove a Telluride and Palisade, Ford got caught with their pants down IMO, you take the badges off the Explorer, Telluride, Palisade and Atlas and I bet most of the buying public will pick the Telluride or Palisade. I was straight with the Hyundai and Kia guys I couldn't get past the badge.

Long term quality is a question mark on the Hyundai and Kia we all know about the short term quality on the Explorers. I also think comparing the competitors to the ST is not fair no one else offers that type of option you need to compare apples to apples.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out, the Kia dealer had a dealer markup on the Telluride I drove, all Ford had was about 20 Explores with missing parts on the lot :p