Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

2021 Explorer ST 20 inch Winter Wheels

Reactions
Looking for a 20 inch wheel for winter tires for my ‘21 with str wheel package. Any suggestions?

Reactions
I got some new 2020 XLT 20's with tires for $650. Should be. Able to get a few hundred for the new tires, then will buy winter tires.

OP
G
Reactions
Thread Starter #4
I got some new 2020 XLT 20's with tires for $650. Should be. Able to get a few hundred for the new tires, then will buy winter tires.
Can you post a pic of those? Where did you get them? Did they fit the hub brake with red calipers (not performance just STR)? I don't know why this is so difficult. All I want is a wheel to mount 245 50 R 20 snow tires I already have on a 20" wheel and put it on my ST for the winter. No tire shop will do it. The tire is rated for and was used on a car that weighed 500lbs more and had similar HP. Basically I am being told the aspect ration is too large, I think. I obviously know nothing about wheels and tires :(

Last edited:
Reactions
All - googled and found this post - thank goodness. looking to get a 2022 ST but did bot want to run the 275/45/21 setup in the winter. have always owned 2 sets of wheels/tires and swap out for fall/winter vs spring/summer, but could not find out if 20 inch rims would fit over the Street Package calipers until now. TireRack or DiscountTire sells 20 inch rims that fit the explorer w/o adapter plates (match OEM 20 inch offsets) there are also several site that let you compare tire sizes, wheel diameters and offsets. 275/45/21 is virtually identical to OEM 255/55/20. need to double check rim width and offsets, but if you find OEM 20 inch specs, you can find aftermarket rims to fit. Yes it hurts to make that initial purchase but long term, your tires last twice as long when you only run them 6 months a year! once the chip shortage clears up will be placing my order. lucky for me I have a buddy who owns a Ford dealer so can spec the car exactly how i want it and pay whatever his cost is - plus a nice steak dinner w/drinks. he lives in NJ and i live in CO so a one way ticket and a 2000 road trip to break her in!! Cheers all - registered to the ST forum!!!

OP
G

GTB1

Reactions
Thread Starter #6
All - googled and found this post - thank goodness. looking to get a 2022 ST but did bot want to run the 275/45/21 setup in the winter. have always owned 2 sets of wheels/tires and swap out for fall/winter vs spring/summer, but could not find out if 20 inch rims would fit over the Street Package calipers until now. TireRack or DiscountTire sells 20 inch rims that fit the explorer w/o adapter plates (match OEM 20 inch offsets) there are also several site that let you compare tire sizes, wheel diameters and offsets. 275/45/21 is virtually identical to OEM 255/55/20. need to double check rim width and offsets, but if you find OEM 20 inch specs, you can find aftermarket rims to fit. Yes it hurts to make that initial purchase but long term, your tires last twice as long when you only run them 6 months a year! once the chip shortage clears up will be placing my order. lucky for me I have a buddy who owns a Ford dealer so can spec the car exactly how i want it and pay whatever his cost is - plus a nice steak dinner w/drinks. he lives in NJ and i live in CO so a one way ticket and a 2000 road trip to break her in!! Cheers all - registered to the ST forum!!!
Thanks for posting. good luck with your order. In have not regretted the purchase for a minute. What is your concern with running 21s in winter? Performance or just to protect the wheel and tire set?

Reactions
Colorado uses Mag Chloride which is super corrosive. also, 275/45/21 more suited yo summer/performance driving. lastly, 275 a little wide for deep snow, 255/20 and a good all-season or dedicated snow tire better and way more less expensive choices - 21's are fewer and therefore more expensive......

OP
G

GTB1

Reactions
Thread Starter #8
Colorado uses Mag Chloride which is super corrosive. also, 275/45/21 more suited yo summer/performance driving. lastly, 275 a little wide for deep snow, 255/20 and a good all-season or dedicated snow tire better and way more less expensive choices - 21's are fewer and therefore more expensive......
Thanks. appreciated.