Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

2020 Ford Explorer ST delivers speedy and engaging performance with one nagging problem

Reactions
https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta...ve-minute-2020-ford-explorer-st-delivers.html

There’s no question that the new platform underpinning the 2020 Ford Explorer greatly improves the models ride, cabin noise, and drivability. The sportiest trim level the redesigned model comes in, the Explorer ST, ups the performance but doesn’t quite take it to the level other SUVs achieve.

Under the hood of the ST is a 3.0-liter EcoBoost V6, the same engine that is in the top-tier Explorer Platinum. It’s robust enough to do the job in the ST model, which weights 26 pounds less than the Platinum trim, and more proficient, getting 400 horsepower and 415 pound-feet of torque. The higher trim level hits 365 horsepower and 380 pound-feet of torque. Both models have their engine paired with a 10-speed automatic transmission with paddle shifters.

Despite the SUV’s power increase, at no time do the driver or passengers have the satisfaction of feeling the torque pull the way a true sporty vehicle does. The Explorer ST’s smooth and steady rise from zero to 60 mph and beyond is attractively fast but ultimately unfulfilling.

Both models come equipped with intelligent four-wheel drive and remain planted on the road around curves. Steering is sharp for a midsize SUV, which was tuned specifically for a higher degree of performance, but the Explorer ST doesn’t deliver precision like what you’d find in the driver-focused Porsche Cayenne.

The ST’s braking is strong without being grabby. The model comes standard with heavy-duty rear brake calipers while performance and high-performance brakes are available. It rides on standard 20-inch machined aluminum wheels and Ford offers 21-inch aluminum wheels as an option.

Ford Motor Co. (NYSE: F) designers have given the ST its own exterior look, most visibly changing out the traditional grilled for a black mesh grille insert. There are also black lower bodyside details, roof-rack side rails, skid plate elements, liftgate appliqué, and hood badging.

Ford has given the ST nearly the same interior and exterior dimensions as the rest of the Explorer lineup. Unique ST trim interior elements include a flat-bottomed, heated steering wheel embossed with an ST logo, and unique floor mats. There are also leather sport bucket seats with micro-perforation, City Silver accent stitching, and the ST logo.

A 12.3-inch all-digital instrument cluster is standard, as are Ford’s Class III Trailer Tow Package with Cargo Management System and Active Park Assist 2.0.

Additional upgrades, including larger vented rotors, red-painted brake calipers with stainless steel pistons, and larger brake pads are included as part of the available ST Street ($995) and High-Performance ($1,595) packages.

The 2020 Ford Explorer ST starts at $54,740, putting it in the price range of the Audi Q7, Mercedes-Benz GLE, and Land Rover Discovery. The ST model less costly than its more performance-focused counterparts like the Dodge Durango SRT and Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk. However, despite being cheaper, a near-$60,000 Explorer is a tough bill to swallow when there are more finely appointed luxury midsize SUVs available.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
Foreign car bias is insane in the automotive world and understandable perhaps 15 years ago, but no longer. I recently purchased a 2021 Ford Explorer ST in Ice Silver and absolutely love the vehicle and this comes after owning a BMW X5. Yes, it may not have some of the advanced features that foreign cars have, but American cars have come a very LONG way and not enough is said about it. I wonder why?

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
So @LopezST, you prefer the Illinois-made Ford over the South Carolina-made BMW? ;)

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
The short is a resounding YES!!!

Reactions
Foreign car bias is insane in the automotive world and understandable perhaps 15 years ago, but no longer. I recently purchased a 2021 Ford Explorer ST in Ice Silver and absolutely love the vehicle and this comes after owning a BMW X5. Yes, it may not have some of the advanced features that foreign cars have, but American cars have come a very LONG way and not enough is said about it. I wonder why?
Interesting. I tend to agree with this premise. I will also note that a little perspective is important too - BMW has a pedigree that they’re able to lean into/learn from and Ford is just jumping into the performance SUV “market” which is absolutely a different niche than performance cars. I’d say that Ford’s first foray into PSUVs was mixed and definitely something to learn from. Yes the interior flavors are meh but I think Ford bet that most ST buyers would focus on performance over fit finish. I think that they were probably surprised at the demand - especially since they opened up an ST Line that focuses on those buyers who are not focused on performance but more fit and finish.

Just my random 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
For me it was simple logic, I prefer my money too stay IN THE bank LOL. I come from a line of pretty strong daily drivers, I bought a Charger hellcat in Febuary of 2019 kept it all of about 15 months and sold it too Carvana . Found a Redeye Challenger and got such a freaking deal had to buy it in May of 2020, just sold it ( actually MADE 3500 bucks on it so it had too go ) . Wanted something that wouldn't just sit in the garage 27 days a month and not be driven PLUS wanted something that was a little larger to carry more people/ stuff blah blah. First interest naturally was a Track Hawk or Hellcat Durango but that was NOT gonna happen since I couldn't find one for UNDER 100K . Thats ludicrous most dealers were markin them UP 3-10 grand OVER MSRP . That's when I started doing some research on the ST Explorer. TBH I didn't know crap about them till I did, for me the money was worth what I would be getting and the fact that I was able to write a check and pay this thing off was what I was after. I was tired of making a 700 payment every month and not even driving what I was payin for. Wife drives the St every day and i do every other day or so. Gonna do the normal bolt ons for some extra power , while its never gonna be a hellcat power plant its good enough for me and the damn thing is PAID off. Im happy with it . I was never after a luxury type suv, i wanted performance, with the ability too add too with minimal cost.