Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

06 4.8 build thread

Reactions
So this is technically my fiancé’s ride but she always has me set them up for her. We traded in her 2016 triple black Camaro SS that was FBO E85 on Velgens for this Explorer ST as she just needed more room for work (no kids lol)
On her cars I normally don’t go too far and just the basic. So far we have 700 miles on it and it’s gotten 20% ceramic tint, weathertechs, “explorer” removed from the hood, and had the body shop paint the emblems gloss black. Got with Adam at ZFG and he did his 93 tune on it.

If H&R would have springs available it would already have them but it’s just a waiting game now. It will be getting a whipple IC and E50 update here shortly.
Wheels are Niche Vicenza in a 20x10 with 40mm offset. Went with these as they are only 27lbs. Tires are Toyo ST3 295/45/20

Attachments

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
OP
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
he meant "in stock". everyone has been complaining that they are out of stock for awhile now. I have Steeda springs though and love them. People should really not stress that extra 1/2" of drop.
Can't help it.lol

Actually, did you take measurements before and after? I was told the steedas actually drop about 1.5" vs what's advertised but no one has confirmed it yet

Reactions
he meant "in stock". everyone has been complaining that they are out of stock for awhile now. I have Steeda springs though and love them. People should really not stress that extra 1/2" of drop.
Ah, gotcha.

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Can't help it.lol

Actually, did you take measurements before and after? I was told the steedas actually drop about 1.5" vs what's advertised but no one has confirmed it yet
I did and they do. I did not know if it was just me so I didn't post anything, but mine settled ALOT over the first week of installation but still kept the raked look because the drop is the same fr and rr whereas H&R drops the rear level. And they ride REALLY nice.

OP
Reactions
Thread Starter #8
Just said screw it and ordered the Steeda springs after Zane sent me pics. Thanks again

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Steeda springs are awesome. Don't know about the Explorer application, but I've never liked the ride on H&Rs in the past until you add better shocks. Just as important (maybe more so), get the rear sway bar. The combo is killer. And not sure about settling but to be on the safe side, I didn't get an alignment until 2 weeks after spring installation.

Reactions
I did and they do. I did not know if it was just me so I didn't post anything, but mine settled ALOT over the first week of installation but still kept the raked look because the drop is the same fr and rr whereas H&R drops the rear level. And they ride REALLY nice.
Can you share some pics showing how much the Steeda springs have settled? It may help others (myself included) figure out if waiting for H&Rs is worth it when over time the Steeda springs will settle to nearly the same levels. In the end, both springs will help improve handling. Haven't heard anyone say their ST rides worse after either spring install... so you can't go wrong in either direction. If the more aggressive drop appearance advantage of the H&Rs (subjective) is now off the table after the Steeda springs settle, then I'm sure most would appreciate saving a few bucks and going with the lower cost option.

Reactions
So this is technically my fiancé’s ride but she always has me set them up for her. We traded in her 2016 triple black Camaro SS that was FBO E85 on Velgens for this Explorer ST as she just needed more room for work (no kids lol)
On her cars I normally don’t go too far and just the basic. So far we have 700 miles on it and it’s gotten 20% ceramic tint, weathertechs, “explorer” removed from the hood, and had the body shop paint the emblems gloss black. Got with Adam at ZFG and he did his 93 tune on it.

If H&R would have springs available it would already have them but it’s just a waiting game now. It will be getting a whipple IC and E50 update here shortly.
Wheels are Niche Vicenza in a 20x10 with 40mm offset. Went with these as they are only 27lbs. Tires are Toyo ST3 295/45/20
Dude, nice work on your fiancé’s ride! Keep up the nice build.

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Can you share some pics showing how much the Steeda springs have settled? It may help others (myself included) figure out if waiting for H&Rs is worth it when over time the Steeda springs will settle to nearly the same levels. In the end, both springs will help improve handling. Haven't heard anyone say their ST rides worse after either spring install... so you can't go wrong in either direction. If the more aggressive drop appearance advantage of the H&Rs (subjective) is now off the table after the Steeda springs settle, then I'm sure most would appreciate saving a few bucks and going with the lower cost option.
Total drop after 1 week and aggressive driving (testing out the rear sway bar) was 1.5" in the front and somewhere between 1.25" and 1.5" in the rear--it was definitely less than the front but hard to tell exact because the tire is set so far to the inside of the fender. I will say that H&R will give you a more level look for sure--the Steeda springs give you a more raked look. Compare my truck to someone with the stock wheels and H&Rs (without wheel spacers) and the difference in the rear is there. A guy near to me has the H&R springs and in person, unless you are looking really hard at that rear wheel gap to compare the two, you can't tell the difference between the two. To the naked eye, there is no way someone could tell the front was any different.

IMG_0329.JPG

and a super saturated version so you can see the gaps
IMG_0329.JPG

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
For what its worth, I REALLY like the ride quality of the Steeda springs. They match the stock shock valving very well. Super progressive and stable. It will float on the highway a dream but when things get choppy (potholes) or you get frisky, they are super stiff.

Reactions
Total drop after 1 week and aggressive driving (testing out the rear sway bar) was 1.5" in the front and somewhere between 1.25" and 1.5" in the rear--it was definitely less than the front but hard to tell exact because the tire is set so far to the inside of the fender. I will say that H&R will give you a more level look for sure--the Steeda springs give you a more raked look. Compare my truck to someone with the stock wheels and H&Rs (without wheel spacers) and the difference in the rear is there. A guy near to me has the H&R springs and in person, unless you are looking really hard at that rear wheel gap to compare the two, you can't tell the difference between the two. To the naked eye, there is no way someone could tell the front was any different.

View attachment 2382

and a super saturated version so you can see the gaps
View attachment 2383
Much appreciated! Increasing the brightness levels on the second shot helps to see the difference. Thanks(y)

OP
Reactions
Thread Starter #16
Its at the dealership now getting the Steeda springs installed. Will go to exhaust shop tomorrow to get the quad 4" black tips installed.
We get married in a month in TN (on our dime) so I told her I would hold off on IC and HPFP until thats done.

OP
Reactions
Thread Starter #17
Drop and alignment done. The initial 5 mile drive review makes it seem like it’s much more “planted” and doesn’t have the unwanted cushy feel like a larger SUV has.

Attachments

Reactions
Sounds like your build is coming together nicely.

Now if you were driving away from the wedding in the ST, then the upgrades could be nice to have;)
Best wishes for your wedding... that month will fly by and be here before you know it. Enjoy!

OP
Reactions
Thread Starter #19
Sounds like your build is coming together nicely.

Now if you were driving away from the wedding in the ST, then the upgrades could be nice to have;)
Best wishes for your wedding... that month will fly by and be here before you know it. Enjoy!
Haha that’s very true!
Thanks!